Restricting Guides Services on Some Rivers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

As resources become less and less, and the population
    becomes larger and larger it would seem that one day
    we will be on a lottery to fish a specific river or lake.
    Glad I'm old and don't have to give a shit about the long
    term.....

Just call me Polly Anna.

Thanks for the depressing link Larry.

See you on Friday the 15th, I'm calling in sick.

Dave

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Polly Anna may be right. Hope you are not Dave! Friday the 15th? As in April 15th? Where would you be recovering from your short but severe 24 hour illness?

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Here's my suggestion to guides and recreational anglers alike: If you're going to take from the resource or use it in any way, give back to it. Bitching on a message board or clicking a "like" button on Facebook doesn't count. Your time, money and/or personal talents can be put to use to fix some of these problems.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Thanks Evan. Maybe this whole dang thread should be read by the Fish and Wildlife Commission. Maybe someone in Olympia could learn what the attitudes are out in the "real fishing world"??

5. generic

generic Active Member

How could a boat ban NOT decrease the pressure on fish? Heck, I think a lottery system for some steelie rivers should be initiated. Think about it. What better way to raise funds for a depleted wild steelie river than to have a lottery in place for that river. It would be like the Smith in MT. People paying high dollars just to fish river "X".

It's human nature to have what others want. Have a ticket to fish for the Grey Ghost on a limited access river. Oh yeah, and no boats to protect the "safe zones" for fish.

6. Supermuddler

Supermuddler New Member

What many people fail to think about when initiating a "no fishing from floating craft" rule is the detriment to the shoreline and spawning areas. I spend a lot of time on the Klickitat, Methow and Wenatchee systems in the fall and used to spend a lot of time on the Skagit and Sauk system in the spring. In the fall when people are out hammering on steelhead just happens to be the same time most of the fall kings are spawning. I don't know how many people I watched on the Klickitat this fall waltz down the river right through king reds. The same goes for guys walking the river, such as the Upper Sauk. Unfortunately the some of the worst violators of this are guys that like to swing the fly simply because the method requires you to wade.

Lets step back and really look at the situation before we try to target one user group and make them the scapegoat and the reason for our fisheries demise. There are plenty of reasons why our fisheries are suffering and I promise that guides are not the main reason.

7. generic

generic Active Member

That's a great point muddler. I stepped on what "looked" like a red once, made me sick to my stomach all day. Normally I'm really careful, but at that moment I was looking for a place to make my next cast and was careless.

Still, on a selective river that requires a guide, you would have a spotter. Or fish exclusively from a boat and not from shore with a limited number of boats. But now I've highjacked this thread and that may be another discussion for another day.

8. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

my bad, didn't know where it came from.

I suggest getting ahold of enforcement in these regions to see what their take on the fish handling rule is before you take the time to send emails. you might be surprised what you hear

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Ed, its the yearly trip to
    the dry side to a yet to
    be discovered lake with
    big browns (and fish too).

DK

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Big Browns? Secret? Come on Man (sorry wrong thread, but it fits!)

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Pretty much every river in Alaska has limited entry for guides, the exceptions are on state land except the Kenai. Still there is a ton (way to much) of guide pressure mostly because a lot of lodges were grandfathered in before ANILCA. A couple of rivers only have one or two permitted guides though, and there are no guide days on the kenai.

12. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    I was going to stay out of this one, but some of the shit in this post rubbed me the wrong way. We've met briefly. You seemed like a nice guy. Because I have met you face to face, I'm going to respond to your comments.

I have a buddy who has caught and seen hundreds of bead caught fish. If done right, he said it is no worse than any other method.

You can't possibly know what everyone on here thinks it's all about.

I'm on here pretty often. I haven't seen this crying.

You will never help someone see your point of view by harping. Seriously.

I "spout" conservation, and I fish beads sometimes. In over a year, I've touched 4 steelhead. 3 were natives. You seem to have the whole swing thing down. Have you touched more than 3 natives in the last 12 months? If so, given the widely accepted 10% C&R mortality rate, you have had a worse impact on them than me. A sometimes bead fisherman. Is it possible that those bead bans are a knee jerk reactions? Some laws are stupid. Like not letting certain races and genders vote. Here's a crazy example. In my beloved Washington, the laws allow certain people to string gillnets across the fucking river, and kill everything that swims into them. So laws can be fucked up.

So this whole bit right here makes me ashamed to be seen on the river with a 2 hander. Seriously. We met once, and you shared some whiskey with me. But you have never kept me awake on a long late drive home. We've never tried to get wet firewood lit in December. We've never hiked until our feet and backs ached. We've never traded time on the sticks so the other could fish. Shared food when it counted. Taught and learned from each other. Never talked about how chasing steelhead changed us as people. You have no idea what my feelings are, what I'm missing, what my ego is like, what I think is mindless, and how I cast. You basically said that I don't get it. That I am somehow beneath you. That I am doing it wrong. That is annoying. You presume. Some folks might presume that you are a pompous fucking asshole based on your words here. But I don't. I just think you feel strongly about something you care about. Extend to me and others that same courtesy. We care about the same thing. Can you imagine how stupid it would seem if guys who pulled plugs talked major shit about guys throwing spoons?

Guys, stop fighting. If you don't like the way someone fishes, then don't ask them what they are using. Nobody likes being interrogated. If we spend all our energy looking at what is on the end of a guys line, the fuckers win. I hate it when fuckers win.

13. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

never said guides were the main problem or that the other problems facing our wild fish are not important or worth dealing with.

got it. love it or leave it. you are correct that you can meet some interesting people on the river... but i doubt many people go fishing with that in mind.

millions?!?!?!?

no, the percentage is just as bad. i'm not stating how good extra fishermen are for the resource. your original post stated that guides were good for conservation and good stewards, which if you take the totality of the guide industry is total nonsense. and let's not forget that guides are commercial users of a public resource.

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

not true

again, not true.

there are still a lot of guides who kill the legal limit of wild steelhead for their clients. i'm sure you see it on a daily basis floating the lower rivers still open to wild fish retention.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page: