Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

retrofit watermaster oars

Boats 
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lazuli 
#1 ·
View attachment 44679 View attachment 44680

I've inserted stainless sleeves into a pair of aluminum caviness oars to keep the mounts (holes) from further enlarging resulting from rowing. I am considering using JB weld to secure the sleeves in the oar. There is very little space for a locking cap or another mechanical stop. Has anyone else solved this problem differently?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I've inserted stainless sleeves into a pair of aluminum caviness oars to keep the mounts (holes) from further enlarging resulting from rowing. I am considering using JB weld to secure the sleeves in the oar. There is very little space for a locking cap or another mechanical stop. Has anyone else solved this problem differently?

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to install a small self tapping screw into the sleeve to prevent movement. But a picture of what you are talking about would help. There may be a whole different solution. I know a company that makes numerous spacers for small diameter oars.

#4 ·
Self tapping screws will work. Good epoxy will work. Rivets will work. External sleeves will work. I like the external sleeving option because it adds overall diameter to the oars, takes up more room on the oar pin and allows less of the movement that will expand the holes in the first place. A plastic sleeve will do the trick. (thanks for the props Rob. I like tinkering with stuff.)

#7 ·
re: the caviness oars. Slip a 6'' section of 1-1/4'' abs pipe over the shaft. You will need to use a heat gun to soften it up a bit first. Drill the hole after ( you will have to keep track of where it is in the first place.) I've done this on a few sets of oars, and doing this keeps the hole from getting bigger but does nothing to prevent the oars from pretzelling in the first place. So now I have gone to one piece caviness oars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.