Reverse/Backhanded Single Spey Question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Feb 10, 2011.

1. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Better ask now cuz I will be busy practicing lol

2. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

repost sorry

3. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Here is a clip from the video we did the other day of James's Cachanded Single Spey.

4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Video comes up as private

5. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Bruce and Tim, so what is a long cast for a Reverse single spey?

I'd like to, someday, learn the long line. I suppose my journey should start with "left hand up".

6. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Try the youtube video now. I learned something

7. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

I really could not tell you what a long cast would be for a reverse, a friend casts in the 130`s with a comp setup doing the reverse single or cachanded single spey but that is an extreme setup and is bested by those that cast lefthand up.
    The video is good I would try using your body more to get the line around the corner without the dip and rising more before the forward cast but you are on the right track!

8. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Thanks. I'll work on it. On a good day, I can hit almost 100' 5 out of 10' times and 80' pretty regular. I'm not sure a left hand up will make much difference since my normal single spey is as good as my cackhand...but as you said, it will make me a better caster.

Bruce I'll try to get you the whole video so you can see more. I'd like to take advantage of your expertise if you don't mind. I'll pm you the details.

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

i know the "dip" has been mentioned, but i highly advise against a dip, you loose momentum and line speed. a good golf swing is straight forward, no Lee Trevino style needed. i was lucky to fall under the tutelage of Mike K, his number one critique was my dipping:) If Mike says no, no means no! Bruce is correct in that you should use your hips to move the line around.

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

does this mean Kush is practicing a left hand up single?? hahaha j/k .... i can cast longer cackhand then off my right shoulder

11. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Nope I doubt that Kush will ever make the switch........if he ever did he would probably do better ;-)
    sounds like you need some help with your right if you can cast further cachanded.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Maybe mike finds that folks tend to slow down during the dip. I actually accelerate during mine. It's the beginning of my speed up to throw a tight V. Mike is a pro instructor. If you're going to do 1 thing he tells you, it's smart to do them all.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Kush is a big powerful dude. I remember when he was playing around with "the hammer" stroke. I haven't seen him cast in years so don't know how he's evolving, but he used to rely on power a lot.

14. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Dips rob you during the cast straight linear rod path is the path it would help to accelorate but imagine if you accelerated with no dip?????
    Kush is a big dude and it does help him lots, I am 5` 6 or 7 depending which wading boots I have on.......rofl.

15. Philster

Philster Active Member

Well, everybody has to find their happy home. I use the dip because it increases the window for my forward stroke. With a flat stroke, unless I time it right, I've got a lot of stick. I'm not dipping enough to drive the leader and fly into the water, but when gravity pulls things down on the water, I have much less stick, which means that even if I'm slow, or have forward drift (remember we're talking weakside up here, I'm not hitting everyone spot on) on my forward I'll have much less stick and more energy.

Not saying this is the only way. Not even saying it's the best. Just my way. I am fishing. Not competing. That does make all the difference in the world.