Reverse Spider?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Steelieblue, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ahhhhh, ok. Basically a standard spider, but tying in the flank backwards. Ok, I think I can do it. Have a local Tacoma Library down the street. Will check there next week.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Let's see if my luck is better than Bhudda-San's

Obsessed.

3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Thanks Obsessed, nice picture! Did you tie that one up yourself?

SH69, the picture attached is what is in the book I mentioned with the pattern.

Bill

4. wet line

wet line New Member

Flies of the Northwest by Inland Fly Fishing Club shows the Knudson Spider with recipe. At least my version does that was printed in 1974. Hope that helps

Dave

5. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

schmokin'reel!!!

now theres a nice Kinney spider:thumb my second retarded attachment is the same fly with yellow body and hackle with a little orange in the tail. nice pic:smokin bhudda

6. markp

markp Guest

How do you work a spider on the water?

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey Patrick, hows it goin? All my spots have been good to me lately, no lack of action! The Bluebacks are in! I have released some very nice fish, as have my fishing partners.
    The lawns are indeed growing again and cutting them is starting to cut heavily into all the fishing time I had been enjoying.I knew it couldn't last! I have a fly fishing buddy who is driving out today from Oly to help me blitz out the sudden onslaught, as well as fling a few flies at a nearby estuary before digging razor clams at dusk. We will be following the same program for 3 days: w-w-w-work, flyfishing for SRCs, clams. Then more w-w-work before a 2-day flyfishing excursion next week up on the O.P. where we will be checking out a lake or two.

Hope to find the time to tie up some more reverse spiders, so I can really give the pattern a chance.

The main thing is to NOT let w-w-w-work interfere too much with ones fishing!

I'm outahere! Happy flyfishing everyone! Jimbo

:smokin

8. flybill

Hey Mark,

Check out Preston's and Jaws responses early in this thread for some great insite on how to use the reverse spider.

Bill

9. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

The key to the Reverse Spider is the hackle that is used. The actual Reverse Spider is not tied with mallard but another hackle that affords more movement.

What is that hackle? Ohhhhhh, crap, I gotta go! :thumb

10. metalhead

metalhead New Member

so, are you done with the crap and want to share it??}(

11. DEREK

DEREK New Member

The orange golden pheasant neck feathers are sometimes used in the reverse spider as a substitute for mallard, but I don't believe this was the original dressing, nor would I say that it is the key to the fly's effectiveness.

12. flybill

Thanks, I couldn't remember what other materials you can use with this pattern. Pretty bad considering I was being shown how to tie it yesterday!

I know some of you probably know this, but I learned a couple things yesterday. First and foremost this fly is tied from front to back and is finished at the tail end of the fly. Also the taper in the body is very pronounced (big in front and tapered down) and and the collar is cinched down and flared out to give in the pulsing movement in the water.

Finally the hook that was recommended to me for this is a TMC 200R, sizes 4 - 8. It's not a saltwater hook, but since I'll be using them in freshwater for now its a little cheaper option.

Bill

13. Preston

Preston Active Member

Mike's original Reversed Spiders were tied with mallard flank, both natural and dyed for hackle and tail. Some later versions use golden pheasant or Amherst pheasant tippet. Some of my favorites include burnt (or hot) orange body/wood duck dyed mallard hackle, black body/yellow dyed mallard or Amherst pheasant hackle, yellow body/golden pheasant tippet hackle and black body/natural Amherst pheasant tippet hackle. Pheasant tippet hackles are a little longer, softer and more mobile than mallard flank but both provide good movement in the water. Amherst pheasant tippet is available dyed in quite a variety of colors but I think the lighter colors are more readily visible in the water and the only ones I currently use are yellow and the natural white.

I use the Tiemco 200R (preferably 200 RBL) in sizes 6 and 8, in fact I've almost stopped tying 6's and use 8's almost exclusively.

FinLuver likes this.
  14. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just another note on tying the Reversed Spider. When tying the body, start the chenille at about the middle of the hook shank, wind forward, over the hackle butts to a point right behind the eye then back to the tail. This accomplishes a couple of things; it forces the hackle into a tighter cone, it protects the attachment points of the individual hackle fibers to the quill, and it gives the body a nice taper. Obsessed's photo shows this rather nicely.

FinLuver likes this.
  15. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I published the step-by-step tying instructions for the Reverse Spider, tied by Mike Kinney when I was editor of Flyfishing & Tying Journal. I don't recall the issue but I'm sure someone still has an issue laying around. Preston has described the retrieve correctly. No slack is the trick. I cannot in my wildest dreams envision a need to incorporate a bead on a Reverse Spider. A major part of the excitement is to see the cutthroat charge the fly, not grab it deep down along the bottom in a blind tug. I believe that we've allowed beads and oversized lead barbell eyes become something of a crutch in fly design.
    Les Johnson

FinLuver likes this.