Richard Thompson Obituary

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom Bowden, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

I saw in the Seattle Times this morning that Dr. Richard Thompson passed away. In the 1960's, Dr. Thompson did extensive research on chironomids, created the TDC ("Thompson's Delectable Chironomid") fly pattern, and developed the technique of fishing chironomid imitations dead-slow. Prior to this research, which I remember was published in a WDFW magazine, hardly anyone used chironomid imitations.

I met him at Chopaka Lake back in the 1970's, and remember a really nice guy that shared information freely. He gave me a fly and advised me to put on a sink-tip line with a long leader, let it sink, and retrieve it very, very slowly. The results were astounding!

Many others have refined and improved chironomid fishing techniques, but it all started with Dick Thompson.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?pid=166757790#fbLoggedOut

Tom

2. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Thank you for the post. It is nice to read about people who have made a large positive impact on the fishing community.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I knew Dick in the 70s. He was a wealth of information as a biologist when I was studying to become one. RIP.

Sg

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Although I did not know him, his TDC was my standard chironomid for many years and served as my jumping off point for many variations after that.

TC

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Thank you for sharing Tom.

K

6. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

R.I.P. Dr. T

7. Jaydub

Jaydub Active Member

I still use the TDC frequently and it has accounted for an awful lot of fish over the years. Thank you Dr. Thompson.