Rickards

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Feb 22, 2012.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Rickards....

Again, nothing wrong with keeping things real basic :)

2. little rod

little rod Member

Rickards....

I've been to his seminar and read his book. What he is talking about is deep water. Fish actively feed in the top 8 feet of the water column. This doesn't mean you can't catch them when they are deep. It is just harder and you have to do more enticing. ...and when he talks about the top 8 feet, if you fish water that is about 10 feet of less just off the bottom you should be more productive. I have caught most of my fish on chronies at 8 to 6 feet. Just saying.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Rickards....

Well my simpleton mind enjoyed reading about trout behavior, different zones of a lake, feeding times, his theories on fly profile ( which I agree a lot with), how to read lake structure and rise forms etc. Its not earth shattering stuff, but is good info that I wasn't born with.

Unfortunately we weren't all born with this innate ability to slay trout in stillwaters and are forced to try to.....learn. it is obvious that you were indeed born with such talent. Unfortunately it appears that great knowledge may have forced other basic human ability out of your head, like how to not appear as a DB on internet forums.

Nick

4. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

Rickards....

You're a really super sensitive guy.... sorry...
    I was being sincere...I read the book 15 years ago and I was just curious if I missed something important....
    What's a DB?

Paul

5. Nick Clayton

Rickards....

LOL Sensitive. Perfect.

6. tkww

tkww Member

Rickards....

My conclusion was the same. There really wasn't anything that earth shattering in there. Nothing really stuck, or stuck out. I might go peruse it again with preparation for lakes on my mind. He did convince me to pick up an intermediate line, which I'm anxious to use more and get more familiar with.

He is very oriented towards biggest fish, oriented towards shallower water, very much prefers attractors and suggestive pattens to strict imitators..... And he really needs a better editor. That book could have been 1/2 as long.

All fishing comes down the same thing: where are the various food items located, which food item are they choosing at this time, and then fly/presentation to match. He concentrations more on things he says are going to catch bigger fish. Personally I'd rather start out with a broader view, and would happily trade some numbers for some size. Love catching big fish--who doesn't--but I don't feel compelled to narrow the scope quite as much as he seems to. But to each their own. It's not going to hurt anyone to read his book, but it's not some sort of crucial work on the subject.

7. Nick Clayton

Rickards....

PM, I definitely believe you were being sincere. I also believe you don't purposely try to come off as an arrogant one-upper either. I'm sure face-to-face you are a truly swell guy. I would suggest, however, before you go accusing people of being super sensitive, that you go back and read through some of the recent threads you have participated in, particularly the Chironomid thread. There seems to be a pattern that has developed of people getting mildly upset over your posts and being "super sensitive". Well maybe the problem is not with other's, but more so how you deliver your intended message. Point the finger at others if it helps you sleep at night, but I can count at least 3 other folks in the past couple months who reacted similarly to your posts.

A DB is an unflattering term and I'll leave it at that. I will say that I didn't say you ARE a DB, rather that your posts make you come off as one at times. Take that for what you will.

Like I said, I'm sure you're a great guy and I'm sure we could fish a lake together and get along splendidly..... But I would highly suggest you take a long hard look at some of your posts, other people's reactions to them, and possibly reevaulate your approach.

8. Nick Clayton

Rickards....

I cetainly don't think this book is an earth shattering revelation that will change the way I fish forever. Nor am I one to hang off any "celebrity's" dangly parts, but I would argue that if reading this book was what it took for you to start using an intermediate line in stillwaters then it was MORE than worth the cover price.

Nick

9. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

Rickards....

I am sorry that I have offended. I'd like to think that I could express my opinion and allow others to respond in kind without taking everything that I say so personally.

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Rickards....

The last time Denny did a presentation at our club, he was touting a new camo intermediate line with a five or six foot sink tip that Cortland had just introduced at his behest. Stripping the fly while using this line would cause it to rise, triggering a strike from the fish. This was over five years ago.

We had long ago discovered that use of the intermediate line, combined with rod tip in the water, resulted in a much more direct contact with the fly, enabling detection of finer takes. There was a problem, however, of break offs due to violent takes. Our solution to that was a 10 inch section of Rio Shock Gum between the fly line and the leader.

11. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Rickards....

Bingo. And while that is a very concise summary of what it's all about, it's also deceptively difficult to put it all together and translate it into fish in the net. I would say that Rickards puts himself out there as a mentor and has been able to turn that into a career for himself. While not everyone needs or wants his help, he must be doing something right.

12. tkww

tkww Member

Rickards....

That may well be true. I haven't used it enough to develop that appreciation yet, but I look forward to it upping my success that much. :)

13. Nick Clayton

Rickards....

I'm confident you will be very pleases with the results. My intermediate is easily my most used and most versatile line. I have several but my favorite is the Rio Camolux. I also recently picked up a Rio hover line that sinks even slower and look forward to playing with it.

14. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Rickards....

We missed a lot of strikes before we all started using intermediate lines for still water. his was mostly due to the ripple effect always putting just enough slack in the line that soft takes went undetected.

15. guitarfisher

guitarfisher Jeff W.

Rickards....

Nick, after witnessing your intermediate leech stripping class at Lone last weekend, I had to follow suit. I picked up a Camolux yesterday and looking forward to getting the new line coils stretched out of it somewhere this weekend. ;)