Rigging Tube flies so you don't lose them when you break off the hook.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I use 30# Fireline for the dropper loop on shanks and it seems to be "Goldilocks" for stiffness.

I've heard from other tubers that they like the way they can position the hook up or down. However, I was never convinced that the hook stays positioned all the way through a swing with just a pair of lead eyes for geotaxsis.

Also, it takes me a couple times to get the loop size correct on a tube stream side. I suppose I could get better with practice. Too many times I just saw "that's close enough!" and cast with the hook flopping well beyond the junction tube. I've caught fish that way too.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Trust me, I lose a lot of flies too. I'm from the school of "If you're not losing gear, you're not deep enough" LOL. They're just so cheap to tie up, I don't worry about it. For me, I just string up a new one and away we go. And like you, most of the time I'm jammed at the tube too.

Yup, a few of us are switching to worm weights. Beau Mac now has weighted cheaters. So get an eggy look and cool colors and a variety of weights to boot.

3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

4. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

With Tiemco 7989 hooks at upward of 16 bucks a pack, I'll be fishing tubes... I can get short shank hooks for a lot less than that. I don't fish tubes all the time, but on rivers with a really grabby bottom, like the spots I fish on vancouver island, I prefer them.

I also like the ability to change hooks out for different fishing conditions. When I know there will be a lot of resident fish, especially smaller dollies and trout in the warm summer months, I scale down the hook I run off the back of the tube so I don't injure those smaller fish.

Weighted cheaters, huh???

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
  6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

For keeping it to ride straight you need to have some sort of "rudder". Arctic fox or something similar works great, as well as a rabbit strip. For measuring, I lay the tube on my hand on my middle finger. I line up the tube with my middle crease in my middle finger and measure from there to the end of my finger, and then seeing how long I need it, I then tie my loop the same size as what is needed. The loops usually measure from first crease to second crease or just past on my middle finger. Not sure if that makes sense visually.

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

I was also going to say... IF you want to get your flies back, use the bobber stop method. Then use a loop knot that breaks well under 100%. If you use 15lb maxima, and use a perfection loop, I think you are effectively fishing 10-12lb fishing strength with the perfection loop. The loop on a perfection loop breaks well under 100%, and 9 times out of 10 will break right at the knot itself.