Rio Outbound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mr.E, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Hi guys, I’m new to this board. I’m having a casting problem or my be a rod problem and would like to get some advise.

I just recently purchased the RIO OutBound from PSFC. Clark sold me on it for the salt.

I have it on my TFO,2pc 8wt 9’. It’s an IM6 Signature Series 1. Well I went out yesterday to practice with it and I am having difficulties. It seems to be a very heavy line and very difficult to load the rod on the back cast.

I know nothing of the current rod I am using, it was given to me a few years ago. I’ve used it to much success on the rivers but only with WF Floating lines.

What are the things I have to learn to use this new line or is it miss matched to my rod?

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Did you tell them what rod you were going to use the line with? If so, it just may take some practice.

Remember that you are not going to be casting as you would normally with your WF.

You should be working with the 32ft (?) head out of the tip and shooting it way out with only one false cast (several different techniques, but that's the gist).

The sig series rods are slower action than the other TFO rods. And the RIO line is designed to be overlined and used on today's faster action rods. That is possibly the problem, and the reason for my first question.

3. WT

WT Active Member

If the line seems heavy you would think that it would load the rod very well.
    I use the oubound on my 7wt and what works for me is to slow my casting stroke down. Its about the double haul, speed up the hauls and slow down the cast. Something like that.
    WT

4. herl

herl Member

I would guess that the line should be fine for your rod. And would second the advise you've gotten so far. DOn't try to carry too much line in the air. Just a little more than the head should be outside the rod during (minimal) false casting and then shoot the rest of the line on your final forward cast. A striping basket helps here. Slowing your stroke down is good advise. Also, work on figuring the casting stroke out for that line/rod at shorter distances before you try to shoot for the other side of the Sound.

Working with shooting head type lines and a striping basket takes some getting used to but is worth it if you plan to do much beach fishing.

Good luck!

5. Mr.E

Chad,Wt,

Thanks for the responce. I don't believe I mentioned the rod when making the purchase. I will try just shooting the head with out false casting(Bad Habit). If memory serves, I think I was trying to speed up my cast thinking(Because of the feel to the rod) that would help. Will I just confuse myself using this slower action rod?

Thanks much gents. I need to practice,practice. I am not gonna give up!

6. WT

WT Active Member

As for the action of the rod mine is a DS2, not a very fast rod, which is why I like it.
    WT

7. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Savage,

I just loaded my Zero Gravity with the same line but in a 6wt version. I used it for the first time today and would have to give this line a very poor report. I switched this line from a wt forward line and I did what was mentioned with only allowing a few inches of running line from the tip of my rod and with a head wind, I couldn't punch much of my running line beyond what I already had swinging around. Before with my weight forward line, I could make one tight loop, double haul and punch line into a head wind, but now, it seems like the Rio Outbound, should be called the Inbound.

I might head back out in a few hours after a short break and try again, but with the salad, wind and casting difficulties I had, I might not head back out.

8. Mr.E

Obi, thats what I felt like yesterday. Very frustrating! On a good note, I went out on my Yak this morning and tied into a nice Black Mouth! Had a few jumps, had to be in the 20+range but the damn salad was thick and I don't think I had a good hook set.

I tried the advice earlier and was punching through the head wind better. I was able to shoot out about an additional 20' of my running line. My arm feels like I went to the gym all day.

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Quite often lines like the Rio Outbound, SA Streamer Express, etc., load easier if bumped up one line weight. I was using a 250 grain line of this type on a TFO, Jim Teeny 10', 7-weight earlier this week and it cast pretty nicely. A couple of backcast, double-hauled to build up sufficient line speed put it out there plenty far enough.
    I found that this line loaded quickly if I allowed about six feet to slide into my backcast before making the forward cast. Also, it is important to aim and release your forward cast at the horizon. A high release will carry better and not drive the cast into the water early. Just my 2-cents.
    Good fishing,
    Les

10. Graham Young

Graham Young Member

Savage:

As a salt newbie, I was in the same situation last year: my first outing with a 7 wt Outbound on a 7 wt TFO TiCr was an exercise in frustration/humiliation. I hated the damn thing. This was my first experience with a shooting head system. Others above have much more experience than me: my main advice is persist - a water haul and false cast to get most of the head out now works for me, at least some of the time, plus fighting a tendency to overpower the forward cast. Must admit to a love/hate relationship with the Outbound, but now most of the frustration has to do with running line management. Based on the great advice I've had here in the last year, there are two other points worth thinking about: 1. if you aren't using a stripping basket, make one or get one: plenty of threads on this issue will come up with a search; 2. it's worth the time to be really thorough with stretching the running line.

Graham

11. zaguitart

zaguitart New Member

My first year trying Rio's Outbound (1 week of use)...have been using SA Distance and Stillwater for years. I like the Outbound, my older rod is a RPLX...just started using an XP. The line and rod weight are 8's, and it loads both rods just fine (both rods are fast action).

I like the outbound because, I'm able to false cast just twice and shoot. Sometimes my muscle memory reverts to my former line, and I'll do a third false cast. That brings the outbound shooting head beyond the point of loading my rod properly. I'm still finding that sweet spot for shooting, is it with the head just outside the rod tip...or with the head still still within the guides. Another factor is, I use clousers most of the time (with an 8ft leader)...so my loop needs to be wider, so clouser and line don't collide. Maybe I need to shorten up on my leader? Any advice or opinions are welcome...anyway, I'm real happy with Outbounds performance...more distance with less effort (for me:thumb:)

12. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Great comments.

A buddy of mine and I were out yesterday on the beach. He, who is an extremely good caster, was casting Outbound and I was casting the Airflo version. We were airing out big casts. He had his on a 6 wt. Winston BIIx and a 7 wt. Sage XP, mine was on a 6 wt. Sage SP.

My second rod was/is a 6 wt. TCR lined up with a Rio Striper Versi-Tip line 7 weight line. The Airflo (Outbound clone) on the SP was WAAAY easier to cast and load than the 7 weight line on the TCR.

At the end of the day, as we were leaving, my buddy remarked when he replaces lines on his other rods, he's going to replace them with Outbounds, even on his trout rods.

13. JeffW-CA

JeffW-CA New Member

I'm new to the board, but not to FF or to the Rio Outbound line. The advice everyone has given here is right on... but let me add to it :)

Rio advertises the Outbound as "Designed to load high performance rods quickly with few false casts because the 37.5 ft head is heavier than the AFTMA standards". If you look at their charts, an 8wt has 330 grains in that 37.5' head. The AFTMA standard for an 8wt line is 210 grains in a standard 30' head. In other words, if you're loading the rod with the entire head of the Outbound, you're (according to AFTMA) overloading that 8wt by 120 grains. Most of today's rods can handle that overloading and turn it into extra distance. I assume your TFO can. That said, the speed of the rod is fairly independent from the weight the rod is capable of loading. As everyone else has advised here, with a slower rod, you you need to slow down your cast. When the rod is overloaded, you need to slow it down more. My advice: When you think you've waited long enough on your final backcast, wait some more. Then throw the line. Slowly. You'll eventually get your timing down and get the distance everyone talks about.

My only Outbound issue these days is with running line managemement when throwing >80' of line. The running line on the Outbound is thinner than on the SA Streamer Express, and it tends to get tangled easier in the stripping basket (a must have for sinking lines). As Graham said above, stretching the running line is a tedius, but worthwhile exercise when throwing long distances. Also, having a quality stripping basket (e.g., orvis, llbean) with bigger cones will help.

Good luck.
    Jeff W.

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Casting shooting heads and grain heads require what you mentioned Les, many casting instructors will tell beginning casters to have the tip of the rod touch the water after completion of the forward cast with a floating line. This does not translate well when casting heads. Your release point needs to be higher than when casting floaters for the reason you just mentioned. In addition when first starting out with a shooting head line system it can be better for some to start out with bigger (open) casting loops and shorter shooting distances and as you discover your way with your set up then start working your way out (for more distance). I shorten my double haul pull with grain heads as opposed to a floater, just a quick tug of a few inches can really get these types of lines humming. As true with whatever line you are casting it is all about timing, and not overpowering your stroke...and of course that comes with practice. (When I first started with heads/running lines I hated that hinge effect you got on the backcast....Lines have improved a lot since then, but I found myself casting gentle and more or less lobbing the line out with a gentle stroke and worked my way to where I now more or less flick it out with a quick haul and a high release and let the head pull out the line as it shoots) Good Luck

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

JeffW,
    Great first post. Great info on the Outbound line and welcome to the board!
    Brian