Rio Outbound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mr.E, Jul 29, 2007.

1. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Savage,

I hope you don't get turned off to shooting heads. I tried an intermediate outbound line on a friend's old soft seven weight, and I found it to be an abomination to get out of the water and into to air in any direction. I think the combination of it being a sinking line, being a heavy line, and being a long line, all make it so I can't fish the way I want to.

I think you said you were used to a weight forward floating line. Well, with a standard thirty foot shooting head attached to floating running line, you should be able to pick the head leader and fly out of the water, into the backcast, and shoot it 80 to 90 feet without any false casting. If the head is intermediate you may have to retrieve more head into the guides and then shoot a few feet into the backcast, as Les said, if you want to eliminate the false casting. If you are fishing in current and need to redirect the fly line, then you will need a false cast.

Now you are picking everything into the backcast and shooting into the presentation in two movements, back and forth, ignoring of course shifts in weight, hauling motions, keeping the tip on path, etc. It gets easier too Savage. I think stripping baskets are funny, troublesome and for Wusses. Learn to coild line in your hauling hand. You can make the coils as long as you want depending on the stripping technique, the amount of salad, the speed of the current, etc. You have great control of the release of the coils, and don't have to mess with the basket, which seems to me to give one all of the advantages of line control without looking rediculous.

Steve

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I just found out I'm a wuss. Thanks ;) !

3. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Stonefish,

Jeez Stonefish, are all you guys who use stripping baskets so sensitive? :rolleyes:

sb

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Who's sensitive? Why do you think the I put the winking icon in my post? I actually found humor in your post ;) .
    Good luck,
    Brian

5. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Brian,

I knew that you took me the right way, and I knew it in part because of the wink. I thought I would keep it up a little for the fun of it and thought of winking back but decided instead to go with the sarcastic eye roll. Yep, funny thing this internet. It gives us an unprecidented chance to be heard and seen, but boy when you don't get it right...

Anyway, I enjoyed your feigned indignity about being a wuss. Anyone who straps on one of those ridiculous things is clearly all man.

Steve

6. dominic7471

dominic7471 Guest

with my outbound line i found it was hard to cast at first.... but the main thing for me was to not start with too much line out and make sure it was near the surface.....

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I've been casting the outbound intermediate on my 6wt for 3 years. I agree with you, it does cast differently than other lines. It took me 3 outings trying different strokes and hauls before I started to get it right. My first 2 outings I thought I had made a mistake and wasted money with that line.....now I love it. Good thing I am cheap, so I kept at it, determined not to have squandered the cash.

What worked for me: keep working at it until I got the right combination and feel for it. Slow your initial stroke down, accelerate later than you would with a wt forward; open up / lengthen your arc; turn and watch your back cast until you can translate the timing into a feeling in the rod. On the last back cast, let a couple of feet of running line slip into the back cast, and your rod should load deep. I also use a bit of a longer haul on the final forward cast, but don’t start until past the 12 O’clock position.

8. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Steve,

I'm not loosing hope on this line. I went out this morning to practice, it was very windy and I was impressed when I was punching through the wind. It's starting to make sense to me now. I'm sure once my timing is found, this will be an amazing line.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Timely thread. Lots of good advice here. Thanks everyone for all the useful tips on casting the Outbound. I was having some of the same problems discussed, in switching from a regular clear intermediate full-sinker to an Outbound clear intermediate, using my 9' 6wt TFO Series One, which isn't as stiff as their higher end rods. I'm still learning how to better cast this line. These pointers make a lot of sense, and have given me something to work with on improving my cast.:thumb:

snbrundage, What would you call a woman who straps on a stripping basket?:rofl:

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Anyone here who is using \ has used the outbound have a chance to compare it with the Airflo Forty Plus? I've been trying that line and have been impressed so far, but plan to outfit my other rod with the Rio soon.

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Do some research on Casting Shooting heads, and most importantly the Belgian Cast. You need to treat it like you would a heavy sinktip. A standard tight loop high speed backcast is not your friend with this line. The weight of the line alone is enough to load the road perfectly. You only need to straighten the line behind you and then smoothly accelerate forward. The difference between an eight weight outbound and a 30 foot leadcore LC13 shooting is only 50 to 70 grains! treat it the same way.

And yes, in my opinion, the running line sucks... WAY too fine. Slips between the frame of some the reels I use it with, and we're talking high end saltwater reels, not cheapo cast reels. Tangles way too easy. But until the running line wears out, I'm too lazy to splice on the good stuff...

12. herl

herl Member

I have several of both and do like the 40+ better. It has thinner, slicker, less coily running line so I can cast it further and it needs less stretching. I think the tapers may be a little different too, but I can't really comment on that - I haven't noticed a difference there. The biggest thing for me is the running line. They are both great beach lines, but my vote goes to the airflo version.

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Thanks! Yes, I liked the running line so far. No need for stretching. But so far, I've only used it on warm days...

14. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Scratch my head on that one; why change if you're impressed and like the line you're using? :confused:

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Because I haven't tried and have been hearing good reviews. What's wrong with trying them out myself and THEN deciding what one I like best going forward? Besides, I'm still new to it. It is only early impressions...

....then again, maybe you just have dandruff???