Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rio precision???what's the word?

778 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  writer 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a new fly line and seen the rio perception. has anyone tried it yet? if so what do you think?

#13 ·
I cast it on a 4wt Echo for half a day and here's my brief and to-the-point report.

At distances: it casts like a freaking dream. You can boom line as there's no stretch to remove the line speed energy between back/front casts.
In close, like fishing from a boat, it's not that great. I really didn't like how much line you had to have out of the rod tip before it'd begin performing.
Hooking up with a fish: you'll need to relearn how to set the hook, well at least I would if I used this line. I'm pretty quick on the draw, but I don't think that's what made the difference. Since there's very little to no stretch in this line, your hook sets are more...how should i say...to the point. I ended up ripping flies out of fishes mouths, and breaking flies off on hook set when I'd typically never have a problem. There's no give, so take it easy on hook set or you'll be replacing flies often. :(

Personally, i'll stick with the Grand as it's a better performing line for how I fish.

#14 ·
Been using the Preception on a variety of 5-wts for the last couple months . Really love it on the Orvis Helios 2, St. Croix Avid and Redington's Vapon and Link. Loads wonderfully, shoots nicely and presents well. For the Sage One, I still prefer the Rio Grand as its a bit heavier and loads that very fast-action rod a bit better. For all others, I'm going to go with the Preception (I'll slowly replace the Gold on my reels with Preception, I think).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.