RIO Scandi 3D for Burkie 7127

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by TheAngler, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TheAngler

TheAngler Active Member

I am thinking of giving scandi a shot this winter. I have been reading about RIO's Scandi 3D. Has anybody used it and/or have any thoughts on it?

I am not sure how to pair the Scandi 3D with my rod given the sinking tip. Any grain recommendations on a grain weight pairing with my Burkie 7127 or Winston 5wt micro spey would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Benjamin

2. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

I have been looking at these heads as well. That line should grab a ton of water and load the 7127 nicely. I like 475ish in a full floater on mine and think that 440 is where I'd start with 25 to 30 feet of sinking head. That's a lot of drag. I need to try one out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Gaelforce equalizer or SA UST is a 1000x better. if you can find it, the uST predecessor was the Atlantic salmon shooting head and it kicked ass too, and was multi density.

longstick and golfman44 like this.
  4. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I'm looking at these as well for a trip to the Mo.

I currently use the triple density FIST skagit head with much success but on fast rivers and ocean use but the slower Mo river and wary trout don't take too well to the heavy head crashing....

5. the_grube

the_grube Active Member

What would be the advantage of this over looping on 10ft of polyleader in whatever sink rate you need? Is the gradual angle that important when fishing subsurface but not 'dredging'. Full float scandi, polyleader of choice and level Tippett seems more versatile?

6. TheAngler

TheAngler Active Member

I don't like using polyleader. It's a personal thing... I like the idea of just having the scandi and level tippet. Keeps it simple. :)

7. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

1) Poly-leaders are not really an effective tool for serious sunk fly on swung line sort of work. Most people get away with it by using smaller flies that don't require as much mass to sink them. When you start fishing flies like a Fish Taco, or some other sort of medium sized winter fly, the poly-leader becomes pretty much useless.
    2) The angle is not as important as the swing speed, full sink multi-density heads dig deeper than you think and swing obscenely slow. Full sink heads swing slower and that is what you want when fishing water temps < 42 degrees.
    3) Fishing in the fall I would tend to agree that a full float head & poly-leader assortment would be more versatile, but in the late fall through the spring I would disagree. Some of the modern 3D scandi heads and multi-tip scandi systems are true 4 season systems. They just haven't garnered as much attention because out here Skagit reigns supreme for sunken fly work.

golfman44 and spfd jason like this.
  8. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

That makes a lot of sense!
    Skagit is way popular compared to scandi.
    I am bringing my Rage head (scandit) to cut thru the wind on the Mo next week.
    I'll ask the fly shops in MT to see what they recommend...

9. the_grube

the_grube Active Member

Totally get that poly leaders don't fish deep like tips. But in my experience scan dis won't throw a sink tip a poly and medium dressed fly is all I get out of them effectively. So my question is more about comparing the performance of the Scandi3d to a Scandi and a poly leader. Does the 3d fish deeper, slower or cast better? What's the advantage it offers? Having the sink portion integrated is handy but less flexible in terms of sink rate. The 3d would be a no bueno for skating and other pure dry fishing right?

10. the_grube

the_grube Active Member

OK, scratch that last post of mine. I read the spec on the product and a few reviews. This is quite different than a full float scandi, particularly the intermedite/3/5 version. I'd love to give one a try some day. I just watched the video description. Simon G. says you can even throw a poly leader with these. Interesting that their only 32ft for the 6/7 weight. That's a pretty short scandi IMO.

TheAngler, Rio doesn't ave this line on their line size chart yet from the looks of it. But, it looks like these run about 50gr smaller in grain size than the normal scandi's do. For instance, RIO recommends a 500gr scandi head for my sageX 7130. I went through their 'line selector' wizard and answered the questions so that the 3d came up as one of the options. It recommends the 6/7 for my rod, which runs 440gr. I would really want to find a shop that would let me cast both before plunking down $60.00 though.

11. the_grube

the_grube Active Member

So, did anyone wind up getting one of these 3d scandi lines? Do they cast and fish as advertised?

12. the_grube

the_grube Active Member

Here's a review on the SA UST http://gorgeflyshops.blogspot.com/2015/10/scientific-anglers-ultimate-scandi.html The reviewer is pretty straight-up about what I thought would be an issue -- casting sinking lines and weighted flies with a scandi taper. It can be challenging for me casting a scandi with a fast sinking poly leader. After the anchor set you gotta rush into the forward cast before the line digs in too hard. I think this design would probably wear me out if I tried to fish it all day. But, it might be great solution for days when water is high, or that hole that no one else fishes because it's too deep to swing.

13. TheAngler

TheAngler Active Member

I use the 390 3ips on my 5wt Winston micro spey. For me, the line casts well with straight tippet. It does required more energy to cast. I couldn’t get it cast well with any type of sink tip (e.g., 5ft t-8). It started to fall a part.

If anybody has had success lining the Burkie 7127 with RIO Scandi 3D or similar sinking scandi, I would greatly appreciate any guidance you have on grain weight.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SSPey

SSPey Member

Use a sinking scandi with the same grains that you like in a floating scandi. The full sinkers are usually shorter, to make them easier to lift out of the water, but you can use the same grains or slightly less.

If you are concerned that a full sink scandi head will make too much stick compared to a floating scandi head, consider that you'd probably use way more grains overall for a skagit line. The rod won't be overloaded with a full sink scandi on water anchored casts, but it will feel different, just keep everything moving and keep your rod tip higher on the sweep. And if you're using scandi heads, you might as well use single spey casts, to minimize line stick and fish more efficiently overall.

15. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

X2, people should stop overthinking it