River Right or Left Who Really Decides?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by James Waggoner, Dec 29, 2013.

?
  1. River Right (by preference)

15.8%
  2. River Right (for other reasons)

7.9%
  3. River Left (by preference)

10.5%
  4. River Left (for other reasons)

10.5%
  5. About Even

55.3%
  1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

When I first started spey casting I prefered river right but now that I have had to be put into situations where it is both almost 50% of the time I hold no preferance. Seems there is always a few casts to get used to the new environment no matter what you do.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

What do you do when you have moved down into a run and what appears as having no reason for it all, your cast goes to shit? Can you figure out the reason(s) your cast went to shit? If you can, what is the biggest cause of your casting going south?

3. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Yes I am able to self diagnose myself and fix it, and it is always my rythm. When I am at the top of my D loop I hesitate and that usually messes everything up. I have to remind myself and contentrate on keep the motion fluid throughout the entire process. When I do this I can feel the rod load deep and the skagit head shoots out effortlessley. Also, looping my running line in my fingers vs letting it all lay in the water gave me what appeared to be an extra 10 ft of distance too with line managment alone. Does that make sense Kerry?

4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

With me as I work my way into a run and my casting starts to get out of wack I can usually attribute it to three things:

1 - I've waded beyond mid thigh.
    2 - waded into an eddy.
    3 - D Loop interference with the brush or grass behind me.

Each one easily corrected once noticed.

James

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm indifferent to which side of the river I am fishing from. What I do notice is when a strong wind is blowing from my right . . . since I don't cast left handed or cach handed worth a hoot.

Sg

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For single-hand rod casting, I have no preference, even though I never learned to cast right-handed. I can cast cross-body when necessary.

For spey casting, discussed hereafter, I started out primarily fishing the Skagit from river right, which was a bit of a handicap for my left wing and preference for the double spey cast. But I was resolved to learn to cast from either shoulder. Ambidexterity came easily, which was a delightful surprise. In any case, I vary my choice of spey casts every fishing day for the sake of versatility. I have a slight preference for spey casting river left, since I can push the double spey a little harder. My favorite private practice site is river left.

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

About even & primarily dictated by access. Since I'm a southpaw, my preference is river right, however the closest steelhead water to me only offers river left access. When both sides are readily accessible, then other conditions drive my choice.

8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I don't let right or left dictate where I fish, as has been said good water does that.
    River right I double spey and river left I snap t, unless I'm using a full floater then sometimes I'll cast single with the upstream hand high.

I find when my casting goes to shit, it is usually because I'm trying to hard, too much top hand, rushing or dropping my hands.

9. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Which should I choose? A side to best fish from or the side I best cast from????

10. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    I think the best side of the river is the side that is less frequented!!!! If I can wade to where no one else has fished then I'm pretty much lovin' it.

11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I cast equally poorly from any bank so I never give it much thought

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

For spey cast and swinging flies, I suck so bad at casting it hardly matters...."snap t this, double spey that"... showoff's. That said, given the choice, I prefer the water flowing from my right side facing the river.

13. PT

PT Physhicist

Do you want to catch fish or practice casting?

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I tend to the Left in more ways than one.