River SRC report

Josh

dead in the water
Hit the same place I mentioned earlier in this thread again today and was skunked again. Now, I was trying fishing this spot with a light two hander for the first time, so I may be to blame for the skunking. But I was still surprised that I couldn't even get a bump.

Perhaps with more rain...or perhaps this spot just isn't going to be a winner this year.

Smalma

More rain is NOT what we need.

HIt one of the "S" river this morning both the flows and water temperature were at the upper edge where I would expect the cutthroat fishing to be good. Would like to see both even lower. The big number of humpies and humpy fishers on the wate rare an additional problem - hard to find undisturbed cutthroat.

Stuck with spiders in an effort to avoid the humpies (though one did find a spider to his liking) and scared up a handful of cutthroat as well as 3 adult coho. Most of the cutthroat were smallish but the coho were fresh bright fish that jumped multiple times and made several runs.

Curt

Brad Niemeyer

Old School Member
I ran into the same situation: Humpies all over and cutthroat not in their usual spots. Surface flies had no interest shown and subsurface no grabs in my favorite cutthroat slot.:(

I wish I could figure out how to tempt the coho!

Josh

dead in the water

HIt one of the "S" river this morning both the flows and water temperature were at the upper edge where I would expect the cutthroat fishing to be good. Would like to see both even lower. The big number of humpies and humpy fishers on the wate rare an additional problem - hard to find undisturbed cutthroat.
Good point about the rain. I'm just casting about for anything to explain my terrible luck more than anything.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I hit the lower part of a local fly fishing only river this morning. A few decent cutthroat to hand and saw lots of humpies spawning and moving up river. After the rains last week it seems to have flushed some of the sludge out of Boulder Creek as the river has cleared up nicely. Besides seeing some guys launching a 12' aluminum boat at Trafton the other morning I've still yet to run into anyone targeting cutthroat. I like it.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Good to hear Curt. My spots are fairly high up the river. I have never had much luck in August although everyone says the fish are there. I hope to hit the river at least once per week in September. I might even explore the "P" creek farther north which OMJ recommends. I assume the lower stilly will be a humpy circus so best to avoid that scene?

Are you picking up your fish on dries or wet flies?
You have to be careful about that "P" creek. If you park by the mouth you have to keep your shit out of sight. Locked in your trunk or don't bring anything extra with you. Nothing is safe there.

I always had better luck there before the salmon started running. When I used to Gear fish I would catch fish to 20" out of there regularly. With flies just a tad smaller. Flies with red in there were about the best.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I've haven't really fished the Sno system for cutties but I've never seen one even close to 6lbs. 1 maybe 4lbs. Maybe. I generally have to work a lot harder than 1 fish per cast too. Although some times you just find a shit load of them in one spot. I was under the impression that the Skagit cutts were generally bigger than other systems but what do I know. Because of time and proximity I am pretty much a Stilly cutthroater.

Preston

The Washington state record sea-run cutthroat (caught in Carr Inlet way back in 1946) weighed six pounds; its length was not recorded. In many years of fishing for them, the largest I've seen was 24 inches (measured by the thumb-to-little-finger-tip method by Mike Kinney), caught by Les Johnson on the mainstem Stillaguamish. I would estimate its weight at somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 pounds.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
I caught a huge Cutt that I thought was a steelhead in the kalama river. Had to be about 4lbs. Feisty guy had my guru singing. That was the biggest ive seen.

KerryS

Ignored Member
The lagest SRC I have seen was caught out of the Skagit a number of years ago. It was about 24 inches. I have seen a few others that could have been over 20, maybe as long as 22. Six pounds? Doubtful.

Stuck with spiders in an effort to avoid the humpies (though one did find a spider to his liking) and scared up a handful of cutthroat as well as 3 adult coho. Most of the cutthroat were smallish but the coho were fresh bright fish that jumped multiple times and made several runs.

Curt
I like how you just happened to get three coho while fishing for SRCs. Nice job. :)

I learned searun cutthroat fishing forty years ago from someone who'd fly fished for them all his life. He told me that the benchmark for a lifetime trophy was a four pounder. The biggest I ever caught was 19 inches.

The lagest SRC I have seen was caught out of the Skagit a number of years ago. It was about 24 inches. I have seen a few others that could have been over 20, maybe as long as 22. Six pounds? Doubtful.
The scale didn't lie but Fisherman do. :)

I thought I had hooked a Steelhead.

At any rate, the number of humpies in the system right now makes them much more difficult to catch.

When using spin gear, small cranks are the ticket (it seems) for FF, we use streamers.