River SRC report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brad Niemeyer, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Hit the same place I mentioned earlier in this thread again today and was skunked again. Now, I was trying fishing this spot with a light two hander for the first time, so I may be to blame for the skunking. But I was still surprised that I couldn't even get a bump.

Perhaps with more rain...or perhaps this spot just isn't going to be a winner this year.

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

More rain is NOT what we need.

HIt one of the "S" river this morning both the flows and water temperature were at the upper edge where I would expect the cutthroat fishing to be good. Would like to see both even lower. The big number of humpies and humpy fishers on the wate rare an additional problem - hard to find undisturbed cutthroat.

Stuck with spiders in an effort to avoid the humpies (though one did find a spider to his liking) and scared up a handful of cutthroat as well as 3 adult coho. Most of the cutthroat were smallish but the coho were fresh bright fish that jumped multiple times and made several runs.

Curt

Patrick Gould likes this.
  3. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    I ran into the same situation: Humpies all over and cutthroat not in their usual spots. Surface flies had no interest shown and subsurface no grabs in my favorite cutthroat slot.:(

I wish I could figure out how to tempt the coho!

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Good point about the rain. I'm just casting about for anything to explain my terrible luck more than anything.

5. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

I hit the lower part of a local fly fishing only river this morning. A few decent cutthroat to hand and saw lots of humpies spawning and moving up river. After the rains last week it seems to have flushed some of the sludge out of Boulder Creek as the river has cleared up nicely. Besides seeing some guys launching a 12' aluminum boat at Trafton the other morning I've still yet to run into anyone targeting cutthroat. I like it.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You have to be careful about that "P" creek. If you park by the mouth you have to keep your shit out of sight. Locked in your trunk or don't bring anything extra with you. Nothing is safe there.

I always had better luck there before the salmon started running. When I used to Gear fish I would catch fish to 20" out of there regularly. With flies just a tad smaller. Flies with red in there were about the best.

7. Hillbilly Redneck

In an effort to beat the predicted storm I got out for a rare afternoon fishing trip. Dodging platoons of humpies marching upstream I managed to find a few. image.jpg

8. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Gorgeous!

My personal record out of the Snohomish system for an SRC is 6 lbs. Love those 1 fish per cast days that are common during August/September. :)

9. Hillbilly Redneck

I've haven't really fished the Sno system for cutties but I've never seen one even close to 6lbs. 1 maybe 4lbs. Maybe. I generally have to work a lot harder than 1 fish per cast too. Although some times you just find a shit load of them in one spot. I was under the impression that the Skagit cutts were generally bigger than other systems but what do I know. Because of time and proximity I am pretty much a Stilly cutthroater.

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

The Washington state record sea-run cutthroat (caught in Carr Inlet way back in 1946) weighed six pounds; its length was not recorded. In many years of fishing for them, the largest I've seen was 24 inches (measured by the thumb-to-little-finger-tip method by Mike Kinney), caught by Les Johnson on the mainstem Stillaguamish. I would estimate its weight at somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 pounds.

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I caught a huge Cutt that I thought was a steelhead in the kalama river. Had to be about 4lbs. Feisty guy had my guru singing. That was the biggest ive seen.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

The lagest SRC I have seen was caught out of the Skagit a number of years ago. It was about 24 inches. I have seen a few others that could have been over 20, maybe as long as 22. Six pounds? Doubtful.

13. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I like how you just happened to get three coho while fishing for SRCs. Nice job. :)

14. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I learned searun cutthroat fishing forty years ago from someone who'd fly fished for them all his life. He told me that the benchmark for a lifetime trophy was a four pounder. The biggest I ever caught was 19 inches.

15. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

The scale didn't lie but Fisherman do. :)

I thought I had hooked a Steelhead.

At any rate, the number of humpies in the system right now makes them much more difficult to catch.

When using spin gear, small cranks are the ticket (it seems) for FF, we use streamers.