Riverside Trash

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Dec 30, 2013.

1. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

You have alot of good ideas Kerry. You should run for offic! LOL

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

A walk in the Arizona desert will make you think that Washington is sparkling clean. Eastern California and Arizona deserts are the most trashed places that I have ever seen.:eek:

3. (BigDave)

(BigDave) Active Member

I always take a bag with me and almost always fill it. Leave it better than you found it.

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I went out this afternoon to the other fork, got two bulls( that seems to be the number these days), picked up a bunch of cans and three bags of garbage that someone had tossed in the bushes and the brush hog exposed. Fuckin pigs!

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

For a couple of bucks at Harbor Freight Tools you can buy an "extended hand" tool that makes it a lot easier to pick up stuff along a river bank. I always carry a bag with me. The little tool would make it easier to pick the junk up. However, the last time I walked the Green River I would have needed a dump truck to haul it all out. It's really sad what some people do to our river banks.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

There used to be a deposit on Bottles. As a kid we would go door to door and ask for bottles. Used to be 5 cents on big beer and pop bottles and 2 cents on small bottles. we used to get money so we could buy bait to fish in Bremerton. Jumbo Shrimp, 10 cents a pound. Lotta Perch bait for a dime.

Didn't have pop cans back that far. Only glass.

7. Chris Johnson

Ya, there was a couple of drinkers that lived by me when I was a kid, and if you were brave enough you could get lots of bottles out of the ivy by their cabin, but it was scary.

8. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Like a lot of you I usually carry a garbage bag and pick other peoples trash up while fishing. It's not a big deal, makes me feel good and the river banks are cleaner on my next trip.

9. Chris Johnson

It is a big deal Steve, and thank you and everyone else who tries to make the world a little better, we need to cultivate that sentiment.

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

My new year's resolution: always have a trash bag with me, and pick up trash whenever I'm out. If every one of us did that, we'd have clean banks-as long as we were allowed to shoot the litterers, that is:eek: But what I hear is, it's a LOT cleaner than Kal-ee-phone-ya! Happy New Year, guys!

(BigDave) likes this.
  11. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Good thread Chris! It's good karma to pick up trash on the way out of each hole.

I find it funny and ironic that most of the beer cans I pick up are 'Ice' something or another, i.e. skunk piss.

I was at my favorite SRC beach yesterday and picked up 5 cans/bottles that had come in with the tide. The garbage can was 20 feet away..... it took me all of 35 seconds to pick them up and throw them away. I was thinking, "why hadn't anyone done this since the last time I was here?"

12. Chris Johnson

Ya, icehouse, busch and coors light seem to be the faves, piss water all.

13. (BigDave)

(BigDave) Active Member

The true be told, I mostly grab aluminum cans, (saving for a fishing trip), because there is always more garbage than I have bag for.

14. Rick LaRiviere

Rick LaRiviere Active Member

My home water has always had problems with litter. This area is a high traffic tourist area year round, and the local rivers suffer from the littering that comes along with the hoards. I started out by picking up trash on my way out after fishing. Used to fill my landing net, and stuff my vest pockets, and carried as much as I could. Then I began bringing a kitchen trash bag and left a plastic tote in the back of my truck. But I was just making a dent in the problem.
    Then one day, I got the idea to talk with some of my buddies from a local sporting organization about the problem. I approached my church's youth group and the local scout troop. The local paper ran an article about a coming River Clean Up Day. There were a good number of Dads who fished and were just as upset as we were over the river's condition. One of the scouts was working on becoming an Eagle Scout and used the event as his community service project. We all got together and organized this river clean up day. Many thought that this would be a temporary fix, but others felt like I did, that this would be a means of inspiring others to get involved.
    Kids all went to area businesses and got sponsors (who paid a preselected amount of money per bag of trash collected). Parents chaperoned the event, volunteered their vehicles and help, and documented each participants tally. The kids had a blast. Some just wanted to play, but others were all about the trash challenge. The kids simply filled the bags, and adults jockeyed them out to the highway where sorters went through the bags to separate out the recyclables into totes and trash cans. Miscellaneous trash was left in the bags and it all was loaded into pickup trucks and vans, and a local contractor donated the use of two light dump trucks and drivers. Teams were brought to various locations that spanned the length of the popular fishing spots, a little under 30 miles of water was covered.
    Families brought their own lunches for this all day affair, and at the end of the day, we all met at a wayside picnic area and grilled some burgers and dogs. It was a huge success as both the youth group and scout troop were able to raise funds for their various endeavors. The local paper ran an article both before and after the event. I have to wonder what kind of impact that had in the minds of the angling community? the tourists and community at large? I don't live in that area anymore, but I do fish there a few times each season. There still are foam worm containers, wads of used fishing line, assorted trash, beer bottles and cans strewn about, albeit not nearly as much as there used to be. I think that when people see others caring and getting involved, it does make a difference.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  15. Chris Johnson

Great job Rick, I think you are correct that examples tend to change some peoples behavior. Good job and Thanks.