Riverside Trash

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

doesn't matter. our river banks are still littered beyond belief.

homeless guys collecting cans aren't doing it out along the rivers.

2. Rick LaRiviere

Rick LaRiviere Active Member

Thanks Chris,
    You just reminded me that I also saw one of the regulars (that frequently fished the stretches of the river I did) also beginning to collect trash on his excursions. Noticed one day that he was carrying a net-full, and I have to wonder where he came up with that idea.? And I ought to mention, that this guy was an out-of-stater. If folks do see us laying down the rod now and again and sacrificing a few minutes of fishing time to clean up a little, they'll take it to mind, and heart eventually. Mom was right, "leaving a good example can have a big impact" but it has to start somewhere.

Rick

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

That is a true statement. Of all the states I've fished in the Rocky Mountain West, WA is by far the trashiest.

Chris - can I get credit from prior trash hauls on the Green (Auburn) and the grand daddy of all trash hauls.... Blue Creek (Cowlitz)? The latter was done by a group of us back in the early 90's and it was absolutely a disgrace... a few items simply left because no one wanted to touch them. I soon after stopped fishing that area and have not been there now for over 15 years.

Good thread and purpose!

4. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Rick- that was a great idea. Thanks for sharing your success story! I especially like it because the concept can be replicated in other areas for sure.

I will say that although I'm a live and let live kind of guy, I can totally understand why landowners would restrict fishing access through their property. I frequented a Snohomish River area location for pinks last fall. The farmer charged $20 a year to pass through his land and fish on it. After seeing all the trash that everyone left behind, I wouldn't have allowed access for $2,000 a year. It was out of hand. Needless to say, most of the people I was fishing around were horrified when I C&R'd all the fish I caught. lol

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

While I truly hate the trash that I see riverside & shoreside, it really botherts me when it is a family that is camping / fishing that is leaving all this garbage. The kids grow up thinking that this is how it is done. Bring all your s--- with you and don't clean up a bit of it! Great tradition to pass along.

I pick up what I can but it is never enough. I used to go down to local lake every once in a while to pick up discarded fishing line which can be a death trap for birds.

6. Rick LaRiviere

Cougar Zeke, I've seen a few areas that I hunt get posted for just this reason. Can't blame a landowner for doing this. I'd do the same thing if it got out of hand.

As a matter of fact, I always ask for permission to hunt or cross someone's property, and this is one of the points that I bring up which helps to sway the answer. I tell 'em that I'm not a litter bug, that I'll treat their property like it was my own, and that I'll make it a point to pick up as much of the litter I come across in exchange for rights to use their property. Works nearly every time, and I always try to make it a point to be seen hauling something out when I leave.

Rick

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to fish on the upper Sauk river in the summer time. I went to crawl over a log and damn near stepped into a garbage pit. It would of taken a big dump truck to carry it all away. It had everything people carry on camping trips into the woods. Dirty diapers, a place where they could crap. I was surprised that it didn't stink. I was also surprised that it wasn't scattered by the bears in the area. I quit fishing up in there after finding that.

I don't know why they can't carry out what they carry in.

8. Rick LaRiviere

Sadly, slobs are everywhere. The saddest thing is that some are in our ranks. I've always marveled that people who do what we do and see the pristine wild places where we do it can actually stoop so low as to litter. No appreciation whatsoever. I'll tell you, I'd like to catch one of these buttheads in the act and give 'em the bum's rush right into the drink. Maybe a late fall dunking might wake them up. Naw, maybe not.

9. Rick LaRiviere

Hey all,

I should have mentioned that for anyone who would like to put on an event like we did, don't hesitate to contact me. We had several meetings where we put our minds together and came up with a lot of good ideas that helped the event to be the success that it was. I'd be happy to share some info and tips that helped us.

Rick

10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Then you need to rezone those rivers for liquor stores...

Randall Clark likes this.
  11. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

PACK IT IN.....

PACK IT OUT!

I dont see enough of these signs at trailheads, are they being discarded?:D

I am a gear fishermen, i like to use bait. I am going to say gear guys are filthy pigs. The riverbank locations with easy access , are covered in garbage. I see many nightcrawler-sandshrimp styrofoam boxes and platsic containers with left over roe laying around more often than not. The miles of monofilament line draped around like cobwebs, its all over the bank access area and is a safety hazard( and a real pain in the ass when you get that shit wrapped around your boots and waders). These are just some of the many fishing related items left at the river banks. I could go on and on about other derelict gear left behind.

I do see guys walking the rivers( not fishing) and this is how some of the energy bottles and candy wrappers arrive at the rivers edge, however, the amount of garbage at specific fishing access sites is a sign that very few fishermen care about the area.

I think this sites members are stewards of the land.

I collect 'easy garbage', items that are somewhat clean or readily available for me to pick up. I should do a better job.

I wish gear guys were not the cause of riverside garbage dumps, but i see no other explanation and my vision is pretty darn good.

My rant is over.

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Doesn't all beer turn into piss water?

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Some of those beers subvert the process.

Jason Rolfe likes this.