Rocky Ford fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dp, Apr 17, 2013.

1. dp

dp ~El Pescador

I was there on 4/7. I took my son and a friend who is getting back into fly fishing. While we only caught one fish each it was worth it. My son learned how to cast on his own - without hurting him or anyone around him and he caught a fish on his own as well. My buddy stuck with it all day and never gave up. He caught one and lost one. I finally landed a fish at the end of the day and everyone went home with smiles. Sometimes numbers are not what it is about - totally a great day!

dp

Attached Files:

Dorylf and dflett68 like this.
  2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Sounds like a good day at RF. I'm looking forward the to day when my daughter can cast without danger to herself or the back of my head. :rolleyes:

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  3. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Next time if over there again before this month ends use trout egg pattern or yarn will make for a better outing maybe

4. dp

dp ~El Pescador

yes - I've seen the egg pattern worked pretty effectively at RF. I got no love in the time I tried it. I spent a good amount of time making sure my son (who is 17 by the way) and my buddy had a good time - mission accomplished. Big fish!
    Zen - recognize the net?

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Amazing what can be done with a motor handle extension.

6. Patrick Gould

I haven't got any love on egg patterns so far. Smaller streamers seem to work best for me.

7. marianigp

marianigp Member

Is Rocky Ford year around and fly fishing only?"
    I'm heading that way this weekend, thought I might stop off and give it a try.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

yep. you got it.

9. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

nice fish and it looks like you got what you wanted out of it!! I hope to go there soon and give it another go!! I haven't landed anything the other two times I have been there.

10. Patrick Gould

It's year round, fly fishing only. It can be frustrating, but rewards patience and willingness try different techniques.

11. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

I don't get why everybody has such a hard time. It's easy tie up some scuds with a pink or orange spot in the middle. Use tungsten Czech nymph backs to.

12. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Surprisingly scuds have never worked for me at Rocky Ford. Granted it is the only fishery that I have ever used them on, so my technique may have been a bit off. Streamers have always been the ticket. When you're stripping your line in and you see their gigantic mouths open and attempt to eat you fly, it is a huge rush. Of course to see the take, you have to have a wind free day, which are few and far between on Rocky Ford. Fun fishery. Just beware of the occasional dark eyed, spot free devil trout that lurk in the area. Every time I catch one, I feel dirty and confused.

13. zen leecher aka bill w

I think they are relating fish catching, not fly tying.

14. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

white "eggs", that's been my experience (tho i'm not so sure that to the trout they aren't bits of bread). but the way most of us approach rf (sight fishing), there's no telling what's going to work more than 1/4 of the time. my theory is that you're more up against human nature than trout nature. when sight fishing, especially for very large fish, i think we become incredibly impatient. i know i do. and as a result we are not observant, mostly fishing the wrong presentation and fly to the wrong fish at the wrong time, and spooking and/or visible to 98% of the fish we fish to. and yet every time i go i see at least one person camped in a chair, fishing away, and they seem to be hooked up a LOT. these fish are eating tons and tons of scuds and chironomids and if you have the patience to be observant and cast to fish that aren't yet in sight, you're going to figure some things out that become much more predictable. if, like me, you aren't that patient, and you prefer to stalk and cast to one fish at a time, then read the forum, change flies a lot, burn through tippet, make a lot of casts, stay concealed, and you're going to find a few fish compatible with what you are throwing on a handful of those casts.

15. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

[quote="The Duke, post: 826737, member: 12174" Just beware of the occasional dark eyed, spot free devil trout that lurk in the area. Every time I catch one, I feel dirty and confused.[/quote]

????