Rocky Ford

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flybum101, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. flybum101

flybum101 Member

Few fish from the last couple months at the Ford. Great fishery and have had some amazing days with numbers of fish hooked and landed in the 30s and 40s. P1011290.JPG P1011288.JPG P1011296.JPG IMG_20161017_091532.jpg IMG952792.jpg IMG952782.jpg

2. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Nice fish and pics! I've fished RF since the early 80's....always fun trying to fool those fish. They've seen it all!

flybum101 likes this.
  3. flybum101

flybum101 Member

That they have Steve.

4. flybum101

flybum101 Member

I hope to see other people begin sharing their Rocky Ford pics here

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I hear they'll take a scud. ;)

Nick Clayton, Buzzy, Irafly and 2 others like this.
  6. flybum101

flybum101 Member

Haha maybe.. I think there might be a couple in there

7. generic

generic Justified

I've been fly fishing for 31 years now, lived in the Spokane area for all my life, and have never made a trip to RF.

I told my nephew about RF (grew up here as well - been fly fishing for about 8 years at the time), he goes out there, and his first fish is a 29" bow... Unreal. Still have the pic on my phone.

I think I'd like to try it just for the challenge, but I hate going fishing to places where I see one single person, unless it's a lake.

Those are great pics!

P.S. How does that GP fit in the summer? I have a Contour HD that mounts to my hat nicely, but I want to up grade to a GP 4. I'm just not sure how to mount it to a hat.

8. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Gotta go when the ticks all have Lyme's Disease but before the Rattlesnakes are rabbid..about a 15 minute window at midnight around the mid-Winter solstice..most years

hbmcc likes this.
  9. generic

generic Justified

Are they pretty prevalent out there at times?

Oh man, don't tease me! I love rattlesnakes! Nothing cooler than coming across 5or 6 of them, and they all rattle at once! If that keeps folks out, I'm in!

Irafly likes this.
  10. Gyrfalcon2015

The rabbid ones don't rattle, they are silent killers. The bites are non-descript, but most people die before the drive-in window at McDonald's in Moses Lake. It is hushed up.

The normal rattlensnakes usually prey on the guys that are balls deep in a muskrat hole.. if the badgers are too busy to come in for a taste first.

shotgunner likes this.
  11. generic

generic Justified

Ive been struck 4 times, but never bitten. Rattlesnakes are overrated.

But thanks for confirming that it's a killer spot to fish.

Irafly likes this.
  12. Gyrfalcon2015

: ) I actually have not fished it for..let's think..about 20 years. From the mid 80's to the mid 90's, I hit it enough for a lifetime for sure. I too do not like crowds, but it is a fun place to just fishwatch-atleast it used to be-sure it still is. Pretty unique spot in this area of the world. They are a beautiful strain of fish-Redband-like for sure. Not really sure. Some are almost Alaskan Leopard types. More ticks than snakes when I fished early season before the heat and snakes do come out-I have heard.
    There are water snakes-gartners I assume, that will eat fish right before your eyes in and out of the water. Suckers are their prey. There are Giant Waterbugs too that come out at night. Pretty cool place to visit if you never have.

hbmcc and generic like this.
  13. generic

generic Justified

Ticks didn't use to bother me, until the "paranoid media" that makes us afraid of everything, got me thinking about Lyme's disease. Uhg... Can't imagine having to live the rest of your life with that.

Yah, those fish don't look like your "A typical" rainbow. Is that the only trout in there? Send like it would be a great place for monster browns.

14. Gyrfalcon2015

They once had some raised Atlantic Salmon escape-seriously. I caught some-as other have on here. They were small but acrobatic.
    Since the hatchery is right there, I think they want to control the fishery as a dump pond more than a true fishery for others. Brown Trout may be diseasey..not sure. Just probably assume they want a more controlled environment. Big old Brown Trout would definitely run the roost in there, raise havoc and probably bring way more unneeded fishing pressure as well.
    With Big Brown Trout there, Montana would have nothing left on us : )

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    generic likes this.
  15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I fished on the solstice and about 9 pm, I caught the big fish I've ever landed at Rocky Ford. I left before midnight as I figured it would be all downhill after that fish. It was also pretty friggen cold!