Rod Breakage

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sloan Craven, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Denny

Denny Active Member

How does this relate to the initial question of, paraphrasing, "Do you think that TFO rods break more often than other brands of rods"?

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Several times in this thread I've seen the "production line TFO" versus "American-made G. Loomis or Sage" comparison made. What in the world leads you to believe that Loomis and Sage are not "production line" rods? Take a tour of either of these factories some day and you'll discover a production line probably not too much different from any other rod-making operation anywhere in the world.

3. Jon Bial

Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Home Page:
    A little off topic, but I have toured both the Lamiglas and Loomis plants. Haven't toured the China plants though, so you could be right in that I can't say for certain the differences in manufacturing. I can tell you that cheap assembly line labor does not lend itself to true craftsmanship. I can also say that in touring G.Loomis, the folks there are craftsmen and women.

To answer Richard and his chuckle inducing sig, you're right, the initial question was do TFO rods break more often. The simple answer is that if you want to know if they break more often, put them all on a flex test and find out. That is not an indicator of whether a rod is a good rod. A rod builder I know has often said, "I can make a rod that won't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it."

Folks had extolled the virtues of TFO in subsequent posts. If you want to know if TFO rods are a good rods, compare them to rods in the same class. High end rods are not in the same class.

Jon

4. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I'm not looking to know if TFO is a good rod, just trying to see if anyone has noticed a pattern......:beathead:

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    GLX rods have more of a pattern for breaking than TFO rods imo. So personally I don't think there are enough break reports for it to be considered a "pattern".

I honestly hear more "Praise" than "Broken rod rants" on TFO rods. TFO rods ARE worth considering, cast them side by side with a GLX,XP or Xi2. Its a purchase that you won't regret at a 1/3 of the price.

6. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

I have 3 TFO TR Ci X rods 6, 8 and 12 wt and I have fished them hard in tropical salt with no problems. I have a Sage Xi2 10 wt that I have broken 3 times. One time I was run over by a kid riding a wave in a kayak which I can't blame on the rod. One time the rod broke where there was a nick caused by a Clauser. The 3rd time was due to one of the sections separating while I was casting. I love the Sage but I am now paranoid about it being too delicate. I am thinking of buying a TFO as a backup.

Thomas

7. William B.

William B. Member

I broke my spey rod on sunday as well,it is a burkheimer8141-4 classic.It fell to a large chum on the lower Elwah.Hooked one coho minutes before my day went bad.After draging in 30 yards of backing and line.I replayed the event and the rod just failed.It broke 4in. above the second stripping guide.Waters west is sending it back be mended.Anybody send a rod to Kerry lately?The shop said they cant get any rods because boeing bought all the grafite.So we are waiting.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

I have a 6 weight GLX and an 8 weight GLX that have caught lots of coho, lots of trout, lots of bonefish, etc., and have logged lots of road and air miles. The 6 weight has been smacked several times by weighted flies, but it's still intact. Neither have broken. A buddy uses a 12 weight GLX for tarpon, and no breakage yet.

I know of many people who had issues with the EARLY model IMX rods being fragile, but I haven't heard that with GLX rods.

If money were no issue in rod purchase, I'd have a tough time choosing between Loomis GLX/Crosscurrent and Sage Z-Axis rods . . . with the GLX getting the final nod.

9. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Pancho,

I had a '96 Mustang GT for about six years. Really fun car to drive.

I currently have a '95 BMW M3. It absolutely crushes the Mustang in every performance category.

I also "drive" a Sage XP 75% of the time, although I'm very fond of the way my Orvis Frequent Flyer drives too!

I'd like to point out that I only feel good about casting a six hundred dollar rod when I'm catching fish. I get the same feeling when catching fish on the much cheaper Orvis. Is the Sage higher performance in every way? Yes. But it doesn't make me feel better than any other rod.

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    Sorry sloan this is getting waaay off topic, hope this thread hasn't slowed down any critical decision making on TFOs,etc.
    Have you called TFO themselves and asked if very many rods were turned in due to premature breaking? Or even check out other fly sites throughout the country and ask for feedback response there as well.

Have fun.:thumb:

PS, I totally get your point Chad. :beer2:
    If I landed a 30lb steelhead on a ww griggs rod, would the reward be anymore if it was caught on a Sage Xi2, uh no.

11. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

TFO's offer a good rod at a quality price. I had my 8 wt. ticr break on me up in alaska on the kanektok while fighting around a 12 lb chum. I blame myself though, i just tried to get the fish in extremly quickly and release it so that i could land a bow and my rod went booom right above the 2nd ferrell. I was casting flesh flies with two #7 split shots to get down deep and i bet my ferrells came loose. It taught me a lesson those, always make sure your ferrells are tight. No biggy, $20 bucks and I get a new one. I have no complaints on their rods with the exception that i dont think there cork holds up well. just my opinion though.

tight lines all

12. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

I don't know that there is that much "true craftsmanship" that goes into putting together any production fly rod, Sage or whatever. Its not that hard to wrap a rod and spread some epoxy for the grip. The differences between a Sage and a TFO are in the components and design and quality of the blank. Now a custom rod like a Meiser or Burkheimer is a different story.

Back on topic... I own a couple TFOs, and have had my little 5wt Pro bent pretty hard with no problems.

13. ratfish

ratfish New Member

Two weekends ago the tip section of my 9'6" TFO 8 wt broke as I was landing a chum. Although it was the first time I've ever broken a fly rod I have no doubt that I was careless and applied too much pressure while sliding it ashore. I've learned my lesson. The next morning it went off by UPS and yesterday the rod was returned with a new tip section. 9 days from the time it went out to the day it came back. No complaints here.