Rod Building

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NewToSport, Jul 21, 2002.

1. NewToSport

NewToSport Member

Hello Everyone.
    I am building my first fly rod and wondered in anyone else on this board also builds their own fly rods.

If so do you have any hints on how to align guides so that they are straight? Just do it by eye sight?

Thanks.

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Yes, I build my own rods. Well, I have recently built one, and about a millennia ago I built several.

As to the guides, I do it by eye, but also remeber to mark the spine of the rod, and set the guides with that as a start. After winding the wraps, the guide can still be shifted, so don't sweat perfection at the winding, your final adjustment is just before sealing the wraps.

Rob

3. 8wt_tubefly

8wt_tubefly New Member

It's really not that hard. Of the handfull of rods I have built, I just eyeballed them. Start with the tip top, then do the one at the other end of that section of the blank. The rest in-between are a snap by just lining them by resting the blank on a table and sighting down it like a gun sight. Just remember to not wrap the guides so tight that you can't adjust them. Careful not to move them around too much cuz I suppose you could score the blank. Like anything, it takes a few to get a knack at it. You'll never get it perfect...but thats the fun of it! good luck

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Guest

IveofIone
    Good advice from the previous posters. By building my own rods up I can get nickel silver reel seats and single foot silicon carbide guides, nickel silver winding checks and top quality cork handles for less money than I would spend on the same quality finished rod with lower quality components. The Hook and Hackle catalog has a good selection of rod building supplies and related information. Watch out for the typical beginners mistake of putting on too much coating on the guides on the first pass. Do a thin coat on the first pass to seal the thread and the subsequent coats will go on much easier. Good luck on your project, You're gonna feel real good about catching fish on a rod that you have wrapped yourself. Tight lines (and straight guides!) Ive

5. Dale

Dale New Member

6. NewToSport

NewToSport Member

So other then shofftackle does anyone have any suggestions on local (seattle area) stores to buy rod building supplies??

7. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

You can go to Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake for a good bit of rod building supplies, or you can run up to Greg's Custom Rods (http://www.gregscustomrods.com/) in Lake Stevens for an amazing amount of materials for rod building.

Basically, I use Patrick's for the little bits, and Greg's for the new rods.

Rob