Rod Rack Advise

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by buford, Mar 6, 2006.

1. buford

buford Member

Hello Gents (and Ladies?)
    On a somewhat related note to the post below about taping joints, but not wanting to hijack that thread, I am looking for some info. on magnetic rod holders. Best brands? Ones to avoid? I've seen them anywhere from $60-$250-why the big price differential? Are magnetic better than the vacuum ones? Anything to look out for (besides not driving down the freeway at 80 m.p.h. with my baby in the rack)??
    Thanks for any info.
    buford

2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

If you ski or snowboard then the Thule Ski/Snowboard rack is great. I have one on my outback and that holds all my rods and I am not affraid of losing them on the freeway. I have the deal with a box as well as my snowboard rack on top. Just a thought
    Chris

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    If you are carrying less the 4 rods I believe the Combi racks @ $69.95 are the best you can get. I sell them buy sticking the racks togather and telling the customer if he can pull them apart they're his. I haven't given a pair away yet. If you have reels bigger then 4" you'll need an extension post @ $7.00 more. The Multi racks @ $99.95 are vacuum on both racks and are also good. I also mix them for guys that have fiberglass hoods or a sunroof.
    For more then 4 rods I believe the Tight Lines magnetic racks @ $120.00 are tops. While not advised I have hauled two BIG Sages with Hardy Salmons at 80 mph without a wiggle.

4. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I have to second the Combi racks. I have one and its amazing. People are always impressed when we are moving to a new fishing hole when I pull it out of my truck, throw it on the hood and roof and put my rod on it faster than it takes someone to break their rod down. I should sell them out of the back of my truck. If you get one, and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Because I know I can turn it over quick.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I have the double mag. Tight lines rod rack and (purchased from Red Shed) and they are a spiffie bit of kit. The double magnet on each post gives you about 90# of 'stick' on a metal roof/hood. But that's something to remember with the magnet type of rack .... is your roof/hood steel or aluminum?

If aluminum, you need the vacume type as the magnets won't stick to this type of metal. That said, I regularly run four spey rods on my Jeep Liberty at 70 mph and NOTHING moves. The 'flatter' the angle the better.

6. buford

buford Member

While not advised I have hauled two BIG Sages with Hardy Salmons at 80 mph without a wiggle.[/QUOTE]

Damn, your one bold soul with set-ups like that at 80! My baby would be riding shotgun and my fishin' partner would be in the bed of the pickup.
    Thanks for the info.-I'll hope to see you about one soon.
    Buford

7. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Yes, NOT ADVISED. I always have rods on my car between July and Thanksgiving. It was Friday evening and I had just sold a customer a spey rod package for cash and didn't know his last name or address. He was from Spokane and in a hurry to go home. He left the reel, line, and some other stuff on the counter, only taking the rod. It took me 20 miles to catch him even at that high rate of speed and while I was giving him the items the state cop went by going the other way. Two minutes later and I would have had a serious speeding ticket.:(

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Mike, I'm assumig those 4 combo racks are good for single and two handers both. Do you have any in stock? I'm interested. As well... can you send them via UPS up north to Sandpoint?

9. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Yes they work well for both single and double hand rods. I have both styles in stock. I ship them all over the country so UPS to Sandpoint is easily doable. There is no shipping charges on orders over $25.00.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I'll call ya and order one tomarrow.

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

You won't be disapointed with your Tight Lines rod holder; just confirm your roof/hood is steel:thumb: , not alum.bawling:

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

It should be here tomarrow or Saturday. No shipping or handling and priority mail for 65.00:eek: Mikes a good man.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Aluminum, metal, or fiberglass.... it shouldn't matter (according to Mike) The magnet or sucktion cup component covers all the bases.

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Actually it's $69.95:cool:

For all metal use the Combi Racks ($69.95), for all aluminum or fiberglass use the Multi Racks ($99.95). Some vehicles have non metal hoods or some cars have sunroofs and I do split the sets up (one Combi and One Multi) to save you a few bucks.

15. buford

buford Member

Mine arrived today-looks SWEEET! No more listening to the rod bang around through the rear sliding window. :thumb: It will see action soon.
    Thanks Mike
    Buford