Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod Repair

Rod Building 
672 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  River Is Polluted 
#1 ·
I have a Winston IM6 906 rod. I just found two small cracks (on opposite side of each other) on the female ferrule on the tip section. They are about 1/8 inch long. Looking to get it repaired before it gets worse. Suggestions?

#4 ·
Not sure what I would do with that. That is the weakest point on a fly rod, and the reason for the wraps at the ferrule end. If you cut the existing wraps off, it might make it worse. I suspect they may have been there for a while if this is an older rod, and the wraps are keeping from getting worse. I would probably keep using it and keep an eye on them. If you are really concerned, you could contact the mfg.

#5 ·
I have a 70's glass rod that I noticed has the same issue. All I do is tape the the ferrule together with scotch tape when I'm fishing it so it does not come apart when casting. I would not take any thread off or try to re wrap it because most likely it will only make things worse.

If the rod is registered to you call them and see what they will do. If not registered in your name then you are stuck with scotch tape

#8 ·
I contacted Winston directly via email to see if I had a warranty on the rod. I provided enough info, including that I bought it directly from them, and the addy it was mailed to, as well as the serial number. They responded back within an hour saying it has a life time warranty. THAT is wonderful customer service - what a great company to be on top of communications with their clients. I am impressed with their record keeping also. I sent the pictures I had and they confirmed it was a warranty covered item. Rod was shipped today.

Such a pleasure to deal with a great company that stands behind their product and has such great customer service. Almost a wonderful as the rod, but I am a bit partial to all the past memories as well as future ones fishing with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.