Roll Call: Spey Competition - who's in??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by FlyShopKristin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Home Page:
    Allright, we're less than 2 weeks away from the first annual Jimmy Green Memorial Fly Fishing and Casting Expo! Are you ready!???

Hmm... Casting Expo..... Yes, this event has both Single Hand Games, and a Spey Casting Competition. So - my question is.... who's in??

There are two Divisions to the Spey Competition:
    • 13'6 and Under - Average Caster WINS (known as 'Marlow Bumpus Rules' :)) Prize is a TFO Deer Creek Spey Rod!
    • 15'1 and Under - Longest Distance

The full RULES are on the event website: www.jimmygreenflyexpo.com. Rules are simple - best of three casts off of each shoulder for a total distance score. Be at the Info desk at 9AM for sign in & draw a number for casting order.

This should be a fun time, as you can see - this is all about getting out and giving the course a try. I'm encouraging everyone to get out & give this a go. Heck - average cast wins a Spey Rod!

2. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

tell brian im gunnin for him, i can make it, and set that 82 ft head aside:)

3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I'll be there and booming out my 15'er! Looking forward to it!:thumb:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

So I can wind up and swing my 13'6" and boom out a trio of 20'6" casts and walk away with a prize. I really have to convince the misses to let me out of the house for a play day. I hope to come to meet many folks and soak up some knowledge.

5. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

i wish i could be in it, but to bad i lost the tip on my new rod in the river the first time casting it. and im not surprised that it happened. :)

6. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Home Page:
    Arthur - that's no excuse, the division is 13'6" and under. :rofl: You're still fine! (Besides.. I hear that you got another rod tip.)

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

3 casts off "each shoulder"? How do you calculate the distance if the cast off the left shoulder wraps around my neck and snares a passer-by?

I'm not sure which is more difficult, casting off my left shoulder or arriving by 9 am. Looking forward to watching and learning just the same.

Sg

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Arthur,

This is sad. You cast it for the first time Sunday at Ben Howard. Oh well, now you have a switch rod.

See all you guys at the Fair!

Leland.

9. Arthur Vakulchik

kristin, i have to send the entire rod back to the TFO so all im gonna have is a tip until i can return it to its rightful owner. And leland, how do i have a switch rod? i dont think i can load a rod very well with the 3 lower sections of a 4pc rod. :rolleyes: and i did lose it at benhoward, about an hour after you left. :)

arthur

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Just turn around and cast backwards.

Anyone got a floatin' tip for a 22' Skagit head on a 8124? Freaking floatin' line rule. What the hell? I ain't got no stinkin' floatin' tip and I guess I need one. Who the hell fishes a floater?:eek:

But, I got me an idea. I got an old chunk of floatin' line that is cracked up and all. Think I will soak it in water overnight before the competition. Might work.

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:

In theory, Mumbles, you could win the coveted Choade Cast Award. I'd be vying for it myself, but a family memorial service the same day has thrown a wrench into my plans to attend the event, which has been on my calendar for months. Good luck- I'm counting on ya :thumb:

12. Arthur Vakulchik

Wait, so let me get this straight. If I make 3 30' casts off my right shoulder an then my left, then I walk away with the prize? Just want to make sure I'm under standing this right.

Arthur

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I don't see anything in the rules requiring an anchored cast, theoretically an overheader could win the long rod competition?

WWMD? (what would Marlow do?)

14. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Home Page:
    I'm in, and I'll be out there bombin' at 20' 6.5" :D Actually I am hoping to do both categories, aint gonna do well in either but I'll give it a whirl.

:beer2:

15. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

What prize do you get for looking the coolest while you cast?