rookie needs advise

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by turkish4211, Feb 7, 2007.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

While it's nice to have, it's not impossible to get excellent results without one. One of the better knownn rod builders, Tom Kirkman, has never used one. His secret to success is to turn the rod 90 degrees every 5 minutes for the first 2 hours, then slowing backing off the time from there.

With that said, there is nothing like having the freedom to get out while the epoxy hardens. Is it really an expense you need? No, but damn, it sure is good to not have to sit around for 4 hours.....

2. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

I think a larger weight/diameter rod blank is easier to build on and that double foot guides are easier than single foot guides.

3. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Agreed. I just finished my first rod, so its not like I know anything, but I just turned it by hand and it came out fine. A dryer would have been nice, but you don't really need one. Just cut a couple notches in a cardboard box and make sure you have a couple hours to kill.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

OK, there are alternate methods to get the epoxy to dry smoothly. A rotissarie doesn't keep you confined for a number of hours but other manual methods do. Always having had access to a rotisarrie, I prefer that method.

The fact remains, that unless rotated, the epoxy WILL "sag" when drying.

SD

5. turkish4211

turkish4211 New Member

Thanks again for all the advise. I just ordered a book by Tom Kirkman and am trying to decide what kit I should order for my first attempt. My ultimate plan is to build a rod for my dad. He does not fly fish, I have tried to nudge him into it but i figure if I build him a rod myself he would be much more apt to give it a shot. My first attemt will be for me so if i screw it up I wont worry about it too much but hopefully by my second or third try I can create a rod thats worthy to be given to my dad. Has anyone seen any really cheap kits? I dont really care about the weight of my first kit, though something in a 2 or 3 weight would be fun.

Derrick

6. Islander

Islander Steve

Hook & Hackle has some kits on sale right now. You can choose with or without glues. They have a 2 pc. 2wt. kit for around $60 with the glues.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Perhaps if you defined "really cheap" we could advise you.

There are lots of sources of rod blanks. By doing a search you can find them in many price ranges. The choice will depend how much you want to spend.

Unless you are experienced, a 2-3 weight is a tad light for a general purpose rod. A 6 weight might be more appropriate for your Dad.

SuperDave

8. turkish4211

turkish4211 New Member

sorry, let me clarify. My first rod is just my practice rod that i will keep, and I thought a 2 or 3 weight would be fun to have. My dad's rod is going to be a 8'6" 5 weight. thanks again.

Derrick