Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Roses and bananas

810 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Keith Hixson 
#1 ·
I took a new fly fisher out to Roses lake (near Lake Chelan) on Sunday.
I had called the WDFW and got a report that the lake had open water around the shore line on Thursday.
When we arrived around 10:30 surprise, surprise. Open water on the north end and on the south end, boat launch was iced in.
A nice fellow and his grand daughter had just launched his 22 ft alum sled and was playing ice breaker for the few shore fishers that had showed up in hopes of catching dinner.
This nice fellow plowed a path to open water to the south end and we followed in my little 12' glass tri hull with electric motor.
Getting Lewis & Clark vibs (or Washington crossing the Delaware) as my partner pushed the big pieces of ice out of the way.
We got to open water turned on the Fishing Buddy, only to find out the screen was f--ked up, so much for a Fishing Buddy 1200.
We have had some poor reports on this unit.
We start looking for fish the hard way.
I put on heavy bead head buggers and we slowly work the edge of the ice. 9' leader on floating line 10' to 12' from the boat, very very slow.
We hooked into 10 fish landed 6 that went into the cooler for dinner.
I was out fished 4 to 2.
Here she is with her first fish on a fly.
P.S. I forgot to tell ya that the only reason we caught any fish was I found the bananas in the lunch and left them in the truck. Lucky me.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.