Rotary vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Finni

Finni Member

I second the article from the flyfisherman website. It is how I narrowed down the options to my Peak Vise. All in all, great vise, strong hold, well built, and excellent low price. But it could be a little bit higher. If I ever purchase a different jaw size for the vise, I will buy the heightener piece at the same time.

I also second the recommendation to "test drive" some at a local shop, it is the best way to get a good feel for the vise and if it will be what you want.

Finni

2. Hywel

Hywel New Member

I really believe that the most honest reviews and testimonies come from peers and *your* hands-on experience.

Try as they might, and as good as their intentions may be, a professional writer can't remain completely objective when 'evaluating' a product for a publication.

Something else to consider; IMHO, a magazines content and editorial slant is sometimes determined (or at least swayed) by their advertisers.

Hywel

3. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Hywell I don't /can't see how to make my Ausable crank for my Salt Water Master fit the Griffin Oddessy Cam. I don't know the answer to your other question either.
    I also tried the Norvise and probably would have bought one however at the time I had a problem getting my big fingers in to tye at the hook bend when the fly was in the vise. I understand that this problem is now fixed with the introduction of "midge Jaws". I like Norm Norlander and his products though. And He's always been a stand-up guy when it comes to customer support. So has Renzetti except they are more on the corpoate end of customer relations if you know what I mean. Renzetti makes a good product but, sometimes I think that they're Tooo proud of it ($$$$).

4. Pat M

Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Home Page:
    I use the Traveler as well and I really like alot.

5. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Hywel,

In this case you might have read the article first and checked out the "writers" who are both very experienced fly tiers with at least one of them being involved with the design of several fly tying vises. They are both "peers peers" so to speak.

Regards,

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Hey, don't want flame wars here, just looking at different rotary vises.

Daryle

7. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Randy,

Thanks for checking out the AuSable 'retrofit' for me. It's a nifty accessory and I wish it were available for more vises.

I couldn't agree with you more about Norm Norlander - he's a prince!

Renzetti does market a good product, no doubt about it. It's just that their 'style' of doing business doesn't appeal to me personally.

If you ever have the itch to give the NorVise (with the tapered-offset jawset) another test drive, drop me an e-mail or PM.

halcyon,

I wouldn't have expressed my opinion had I not read the article first and known who the authors were - and that's what my post is, just an opinion. Irregardless of who penned the article/review I still maintain my stance on the matter.

Daryle,

No matter what your choice of vise is, I'm certain you're gonna love the ease and freedom of tying with a rotary.

Hywel

8. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

No flame wars intended Daryle.

Regards,

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Retired,

A couple of the guys made some really valid points. If there is a fly shop near you, ask them to let you test drive a couple of vises in your price range. That's how I selected the Renzetti Traveler as my primary vise. It fit my budget and tying style (hand placement, etc.) better than the others I tried in the shop. That being said, my wife VEE ties on a Nor-Vise and loves it because it suits her tying style. I have difficulty tying on that vise, but she can crank out some beautiful flies on it with ease.

Halcyon also offers some good advice. Check out the article he suggested, pick your price point and take a serious look at those vises.

I have never tied on a Dan-Vise but have several friends who have them and swear by them.

REE

10. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

Renzetti, expensive but worth it. Jim.

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Ok, one more question. Narrowed the list down. Do they all have a rotary action with a 1:1 ratio? It seems when I view the video of the nor-vise in action you can multiply it a bit.

Daryle

12. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Retired,

My wife's Nor-Vise is 1:1, but you can spin that puppy really fast, unlike my Renzetti. I do like using VEE's Nor-Vise to make dubbing brushes, takes about a second to spin one up.

REE