NFR Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Sawyer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

They are all stupid !! I'm going to dress in all black and go out one night with a jackhammer !! Amen !!!

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I hate them damn things. So far none have I seen in Montana.

I came back to Washington the first of June to get my daughter. I just about flipped out because of then damn things. That one between Duvall and Carnation really sucks big time. Hell they are all bad.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

There's one in Yakima, Union Gap actually, that feels like it was desigend by a urban planning student at Yakima Valley Community College.

At least the one in Lacey has some signage.

4. TB

TB Member

The story I heard was they were put in because so many people couldn't figure out the 4-way stop....and they expect them to figure out a roundabout...go figure :confused:

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

You won't be able to get him to stop bitching about the roundabout long enough to yell "draw!" :)

6. TB

TB Member

the designers couldn't seem to escape their circular reasoning.

I got stuck on one once...went round in circles for 5 min.:D

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

They work well, IF you know what you're doing. Much better than traffic lights, IMO.

First time I drove them was in New Zealand, on the other side of the road. Wait til you see a sign for two in a row (figure 8)......

Try that some time.

MB

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

My introduction was in Britain in '93 on a motorcycle tour. After the first one it was easy, beats hell out of a trafic light. I'm with you Scott...

9. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

Dublin Ireland had a round about from hell. First day in Ireland, jet lag, driving on the wrong side, and round abouts don't mix well.

I got run off the road by a raging grandma in a round about in a village in England.

I have to agree, they seem to work well when every one knows how to negotiate them.

10. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Sroffe is right on! Roundabouts are neat as hell when everyone knows what to do. Uhhhh, that'd be in Europe though. I have no idea why Washington's road engineers are in love with roundabouts. Good idea, wrong country. Someone told me they're a lot cheaper to build than a standard intersection... maybe that's it.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

This kind of thinking is why roundabouts will not work in the state of washington,and to put one in sedro must be part of some kind of a redneck reduction program

12. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I completely agree. I just wish people would make some effort to learn the proper way to use them, preferrably before they cause an accident. Instead what I see is people making it up as they go, then getting frustrated with the folks using them properly.

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

They put some in on the GuideMeridian North of Bellingham and they work great, makes traffic flow much smoother, I like em. just signal your intentions.

14. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I would say %90 of the people using roundabouts don't use their turn signal. Things would go a lot smoother if they did.

Also agree about the uselessness of the Skidrow Woolley roundabout. The only people who like it are the employees/customers of Les Schwab.

15. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    These things really do suck! I just had the pleasure, last Sunday, of going through that mess in Sultan for the first time:mad: You can't even believe the the back-up of traffic that thing caused. It's a good thing for me that I had just spent the morning catching beautiful rainbows on drys with my 4wt, because I was still in a very relaxed state of mind, and was able to spend the delaytime re-living those earlier moments.

LB