NFR Roundabouts

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I hate them damn things. So far none have I seen in Montana.

I came back to Washington the first of June to get my daughter. I just about flipped out because of then damn things. That one between Duvall and Carnation really sucks big time. Hell they are all bad.

There's one in Yakima, Union Gap actually, that feels like it was desigend by a urban planning student at Yakima Valley Community College.

At least the one in Lacey has some signage.

The story I heard was they were put in because so many people couldn't figure out the 4-way stop....and they expect them to figure out a roundabout...go figure :confused:

the designers couldn't seem to escape their circular reasoning.

I got stuck on one once...went round in circles for 5 min.:D

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
They work well, IF you know what you're doing. Much better than traffic lights, IMO.

First time I drove them was in New Zealand, on the other side of the road. Wait til you see a sign for two in a row (figure 8)......

Try that some time.

MB

Roper

Idiot Savant
My introduction was in Britain in '93 on a motorcycle tour. After the first one it was easy, beats hell out of a trafic light. I'm with you Scott...

sroffe

First time I drove them was in New Zealand, on the other side of the road. Wait til you see a sign for two in a row (figure 8)......
Dublin Ireland had a round about from hell. First day in Ireland, jet lag, driving on the wrong side, and round abouts don't mix well.

I got run off the road by a raging grandma in a round about in a village in England.

I have to agree, they seem to work well when every one knows how to negotiate them.

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
Sroffe is right on! Roundabouts are neat as hell when everyone knows what to do. Uhhhh, that'd be in Europe though. I have no idea why Washington's road engineers are in love with roundabouts. Good idea, wrong country. Someone told me they're a lot cheaper to build than a standard intersection... maybe that's it.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Rules of the roundabout; 1st in has right of way unless the other guy (me) is going faster in a big ass 4x4 than the rule is slam on your brakes 'cause I ain't gonna stop.
This kind of thinking is why roundabouts will not work in the state of washington,and to put one in sedro must be part of some kind of a redneck reduction program

They work well, IF you know what you're doing. Much better than traffic lights, IMO.
I completely agree. I just wish people would make some effort to learn the proper way to use them, preferrably before they cause an accident. Instead what I see is people making it up as they go, then getting frustrated with the folks using them properly.

papafsh

Piscatorial predilection
These things really do suck! I just had the pleasure, last Sunday, of going through that mess in Sultan for the first time:mad: You can't even believe the the back-up of traffic that thing caused. It's a good thing for me that I had just spent the morning catching beautiful rainbows on drys with my 4wt, because I was still in a very relaxed state of mind, and was able to spend the delaytime re-living those earlier moments.

LB