NFR Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Sawyer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

What's even worse is the traffic circles they've installed in Tacoma! I drove the Gig Harbor roundabouts and flattered myself that I have a handle on driving them while (so far) avoiding the idiots who don't know how. On the Tacoma traffic circles (NOT roundabouts. They have those, too.) I made the assumption that the rules were the same (first in has right-of-way). WRONG! After pissing one driver off royally I went online and looked them up. The rules are the same as any uncontrolled intersection (traffic from the right has right-of-way). In several cases they've put these things in and removed the stop signs from feeder streets. No publication I've seen of notice regarding the changes. I've also seen where they've been used as "launch points" for speeding cars that then take out several parked cars and wind up in somebody's front yard. Compared to these things, roundabouts seem desireable!

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Actually the Sedro round about is a tourist reduction program. Most rednecks in Sedro drive big ass 4x4s like me so my advice is sound. We do not stop in round abouts and those city folk's Priuses don't stand up very well when a jacked up F250 drives over the top of them. But I must agree with others that the one in Sedro seems a bit stupid unless they plan on doing something with the old Skagit Steel property.

I like the one in Bellingham on Cordata. It has the highest accident rate of all intersections in B-Ham. Yeah, those things work great.

I remember right after they opened the one in Mt. Vernon on College Way and Hyway 9. I seen an old farmer driving a tractor with trailer loaded with hay stopped at that thing just scratching his head wondering what the hell he was suppose to do.

bennysbuddy and Patrick Gould like this.
  3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

If Washington wasn't packed full of the worst drivers in the US then I'm sure all the roundabouts being discussed would have no issues. Considering that most WA drivers can't even figure out how to enter a highway (or move over to let others enter), it's not a surprise they can't figure out something like a roundabout.

Seriously, they aren't that difficult people. They also can work great in areas that are well suited to them. However, it seems like it's just a fad with the DOT's so they put them everywhere lately whether the area is well suited or not. In most cases, they beat the hell out of a 4 way stop.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Yeah we drive a lot worse then, say, folks in Californicate. Those assholes don't even know that turn signals are not an aid for turning but an actual signal device to let others know what the hell they are doing but then again the asshole behind the wheel needs to know what he is doing and most Californitcators barely know how to start a vehicle. I have been lucky or unlucky enough to drive in a bunch of the states and I can tell you straight up people drive like idiots everywhere you go. If you don't like the way they drive here move your ass to New York. You will love how they drive there.

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Those engineers just want something different to build. I guess they feel like that have to justify their existence or something. The problem is in many cases they're just wasting money. Two stop signs cost a hell of a lot less than a two lane roundabout.

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

The roundabout between Cle Elum and Roslyn is great for testing the tire grip of a turbo Subaru.

mtskibum16 likes this.
  7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

The reason people don't use their turn signal is--- in washington state there is a law stating that you must have one hand on the steering wheel at all times, to use the turn signal they would have to put down their cell phone to remain legal and that isn't going to happen!!!

Old Man likes this.
  8. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

First time I saw them was while honeymooning in Queensland in 2001. It was fucking brilliant. Blasting around in some little right hand drive Japanese econobox, Roxette blaring on the radio (like it was still 1992), we'd hit those things at mach 10 and steer and veer like mad. Don;t hit the brakes or you'll have a lorry up your ass!

Two thoughts:

1. That tiny P.O.S. in Sultan is much less fun than the larger and easier to negotiate round aboots in Australia.

2. I only see them in the suburbs, so it must be another punishment for living in suburban hell. Ha!

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Ah another turbo Suby guy :)

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Well I'd give the more rural areas a break....I'm sure the driving skill raises the further you get from Seattle. I do agree that there are terrible drivers everywhere though.

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Amen to that. It's amazing that folks entirely forget about turn signals once they enter the "circle of jerks." While I don't particularly like them, especially the "roundabout from hell" on 395 in Kennewick, a little courtesy & understanding goes a long way. And the cell phone comment was also spot-on. Some folks evidently can't drive without a cell phone attached to their ear . . . grrrr. One of those fools damn near made me spill my beer one time . . .

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Not too many in Kitsap County. I think the problem I have is poor signing on the roundabout, so I'm always trying to figure out which route to take while in them to make the right dang exit to get to Cabela's for example or which direction to go anywhere! Well screw roundabouts, I just got my first "big brother camera" speeding ticket in Tacoma at the E. Bay St. area (I think that's it). What a screwjob that was for $124. I'm waiting for the drones to show up next! Maybe they'll even carry missiles to launch at me. I most usually am the guy that drives like an old man because everyone is always passing me, but, I'm the one who always gets caught when I finally decide to put my foot in it!!

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I think they work pretty well...at least for what they are intended to do...slow traffic but keep it flowing. Their new here and folks will get much better at using them -- we can only hope.

Now, if you want to talk scary, try the (8) exit freeway mega loops in the UK, while driving 100+ km/h at night in a rainstorm, on the wrong side of the car and road...major pucker factor :eek: I swear the guy's eye's I nearly creamed were the size of dinner plates.

14. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Don't go to Italy Boys