Rowing The Renegade

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kevin Ryan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

To all you Scadden Renegade lovers out there: I need some help/advice/suggestions as to how I can effectively and simply row my new Renegade.
    I have moved the seat back as far as I can and still be able to bend my knees and get my feet in the water to kick. However, it is still very difficult for me to get my Force Fin clad feet up between the seat and the bar in the front to get in the rowing position on the bar. Then, when I do, my knees stick up high enough to make rowing awkward, though not impossible. I am still seated just too close to the bar, I think.
    Now, I do not have long legs, maybe 29 inch inseam, and I freely admit that I am approaching antiquity and my knees and hips are not as flexible as they were 30 years ago, especially when wearing waders. But how in the devil can I get this thing to work? Any suggestions? Encouraging experiences? Adjustments I am not making?
    Presently, I am not too happy with this boat. I may have to go back to my old South Fork!
    Thanks in advance.

K

2. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    My inseam is 30" so I'm about the same "length" as you, Kevin. The Force Fins do present a problem, and about half the time I have to pull the tips up on the bar with my hands, but that isn't hard, just awkward.

However, once in place, I don't find rowing difficult and my seat is pretty close to the front of the inflated portion. Probably the best solution is to lengthen the bar with chain links. Use a thin carabineer for the initial connection, then you will have to drill out the bar for the links to fit. That will solve it. Mojo has a picture of how he did his X5 and I'm sure Mojo or Blue will eventually find this thread and post it.

3. mojo

mojo Member

I'm 6'3" 34" inseam, and yes I did lenghten it with chain links. After expermenting, I went with an eye bolt (eye down and a cut down fender washer) and one link. Here's the pic that LC mentioned. Also, hip waders work great with these boats.
    [​IMG]

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I replaced the bar in my assault with appropriately sized shackles in the rubber mounts and a length of nylon webbing with grommets in it for the foot rest. By placing several grommets you can easily adjust the length on the fly, from taut (bar like) to loose (for extra length for the legs) as the situation dictates.

5. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. They look like they should solve my problems. I have picked up some materials and will give your ideas a try.

K

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Brilliant and flexible idea Rob. Who came up with that one!