RSL Report!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jay Burman, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

It has always been my understanding that fish jumping clear out of the water in a lake are not feeding on the surface, but are jumping for other reasons. What those reasons could be is beyond me. I know one theory on a B.C. lake I used to fish a lot is that they get some sort of insect in their gills and they jump to try to get them out. I dunno. Just what I've read/been told.

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Sounds feasible to me - especially considering the parasite ridden first fish that I pulled up. Some of the fish I saw were literally launching out of the water - Shamoo style.

3. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I have brought two of those infected fellows to the boat the last two trips. About 1 out of 30 infected is my small sample size. Each covered with about 20 lesions and/or parasites translucent white in color. I hope they have the capability to recover from this disease. Perhaps later in colder water.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Sick fish shouldn't be a suprise. Remember, this lake was managed as a catch and kill fishery for a looooong time. They dumped an insane number of fish in that place. It sounds about right that the population is going to shrink it's self until it strikes a natural balance. Has any one pulled in any Cutthroat from that lake recently?

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It's because they don't have middle fingers. :)

K

6. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

I went to Rattlesnake on Tue from 8-noon. Released about 5. None with any lesions, but I have seen them in the past. They are still hitting, using LL method. Very sutle takes. Hoping to go back up Friday after work.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I give up...what's the LL method?

8. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

I fished RSL this AM and I had the place to myself with the best parking space right next to the launch. The water temp was 63 Degrees at the surface and the water is still almost 50' deep. I fished with Chios on a Deep 7line. I landed a paltry 3 fish although they do seem to be getting bigger (14' to 15'). One the of the rainbows today and one I caught last week had the lesions as described in the precedecing posts. I looks like some type of parasite. It's not very attractive but I don't think it's likely to cause any widespread threat to the RSL fish population. I say Parasite because the water seems so clear, clean and relatively cool especially for August. It would seem less likely to be the result of a pollutant or bacteria than of some sort of parasite. I hope that the fish survive it with minimum damage. I will continue monitor the situation post any further findings.