Rubbing a fish...

Yes, it's called Gyotaku - got learn how to do that today with 3 of my kids. Got a rock fish, put some paint on it, put paper over it and rubbed it. Not that simple but that's the gist. Fun...can't wait to do a flounder, bull head, steel, etc. fun stuff! A little messy but worth the fun

IMGP0038.JPG

flyfool

I've done that before. Fish with large scales work well, carp, tilapia etc. Like Alexander says it's not a simple as it sounds, but the results can be really cool if you get it right.
Yes, it's called Gyotaku - got learn how to do that today with 3 of my kids. Got a rock fish, put some paint on it, put paper over it and rubbed it. Not that simple but that's the gist. Fun...can't wait to do a flounder, bull head, steel, etc. fun stuff! A little messy but worth the fun

View attachment 41730
I was rubbing my fish in the garage one day, but the garage door was open and suddenly the police showed up. That was really embarassing. I had a hard time explaining the paint. They were worried that I was abusing an endangered species and I said hell yes, how long do you think I can last?

They finally left, but I think they have their eye on me.

I keep the garage door closed now.

But that doesn`t mean I've given up my artwork.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
This fish was bought at Pike Place Market by someone else, for me to play with. ;)
I figured as much, I just immediately envisioned lingcod bycatch getting rolled in paint LOL.
I didn't know they sell rockfish at the market, might have to swing by there soon

Cuttbow82

I assume you ate is after the Gyotaku! :p
We used to eat them every so often when I was a kid (and you were allowed to harvest them). Very tasty, indeed (although I fully support conservation of these critters).