S Fork Sno Hiking/Exploring

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Sorry Golfman,

I forgot to tell you about the reel. I purchased a cheap, off shore built Ross reel in the smallest size. It has a large arbor aluminum rim, but the gears are plastic and drag is not high quality. The only real reason for a reel on a rod this small is to hold line as I am not expecting to hook into an 18 inch fish on these small mountain steams. I am very happy with this setup. My 4 wt has the identical reel, just in a different color.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Truer words were never spoken. I have said this many times . What works for one doesn't always work the the other. All rods are created equal but all arms are different. We all look like we are doing it the same way but it's the little quirks that make it different.

3. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Agreed.... And I will add that for me I have had a few time when I spend 6-7 hours on the Sno with my 3 wt then I go to the Yakima with my 6 wt and it takes me a few cast to adjust to the heavier rod/line.

4. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

That would be great Kent. I just heard back from the shop and they are on backorder from sage so they are trying to get one from their rep to make it a quicker process. Either way, it might be a while

5. golfman44

Yea I've never over nor underlined a rod before but its something I am willing to try. I'll have to wait until it arrives and go from there. Thanks for the input.

6. golfman44

Sounds good. I went with the sage click which will be my first click/pawl reel that I own. I've fished them before (learned to fly fish with one) but it will still be a bit different not having a true drag system.

7. Tim_801

Tim_801 New Member

Looks like you had a great time up there,
    Great fish!
    Tim

8. Greg Price

Golfman, I still use my original Sage click reel that came with my Sage discovery series beginner 6wt outfit.

This reel is reserved for the stillwater fishing every spring at the lenice, merrill, nunully fishery. I love the way the reel sings when I hook a large fish. Everyone on the lake can hear the music. My newer, large arbor reels with silky smooth drags are not nearly as fun.

golfman44 likes this.
  9. golfman44

Awesome.

Thats what I was going for. I'll only be targeting smaller fish on this rod so a full on smooth drag didn't seem necessary. This reel and rod together weigh about 4 ounces.

10. Greg Price

Golfman, That is sweet. I hope you get your reel/line soon.

I bet the guys at Creekside in Issaquah could let you test different lines & weights to see what line feels right for you. I used to purchase from them quite often when I lived in Seattle. They were on my way to the S Fork, Rattlesnake Lake, Yak, Lenice and Rocky Ford.

You may be surprised that overlining a small rod will work better for you if you are used to fast action, heavier rods.

I use my 2 wt far more than any of my other rods because I have fallen back in love with small stream/small fish outings.

11. golfman44

12. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

awesome photos! I'm going to have to take my son up there before summer is over.

2 wt rod sounds fantastic. I caught an 8" rainbow on the Cedar the other night on my 3 wt. It put a nice bend on the rod. I'm hoping to hook one of those 15-20 inchers that I've heard about.

13. Greg Price

Golfman,

Orvis is good. I have purchased from them when I had BVue and the Eastside as part of my territory for work. I believe in supporting the closest brick and mortar to my home, workplace and fishing spots. Right now Anil at Puget Fly Co is my shop closest to home. He used to be in Federal Way when that was my territory. Then he moved to Tacoma. I moved to Puyallup a few years later and now he is my home fly shop.

I purchased my 2wt from Gig Harbor fly shop a few years ago when I had Gig Harbor as part of my territory. All great places to purchase with friendly, knowledgeable staff.

Years ago when I fished the Yak a lot i plunked down quite a bit of cash to the EBurg fly shops - Red's, Worley Bugger and Troutwater. Very satisfied with those shops. Easy for me to loose $30.00 in flies per rod during summerhigh flow/high wind throwing monster dry flies on the grass or withing 1" of the grass banks.