Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

SA Sonar Titan Full Intermediate

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Nick Clayton 
#1 · (Edited)
Like myself, many are in search for the perfect beach line.
I gave a new one a shot today and thought I'd share what I found after fishing it today.

I fished the SA Sonar Titan Full Intermediate today. I used a 7wt, 240g on my 6 wt.
This line has a braided core and a non clear head.
I really like intermediate lines with clear heads, but decided to give this line a try to see how the durability is and to eliminate the tangles associated with mono core lines.
I did a quick beach trip this morning and fished the line for about four hours.

First thing I noticed was how slick the line was. Much more slick then the lines I've been fishing.
It slipped out of my hands a few times with a two handed strip, but no big deal.
The slickness really helps when shooting the line.

The lack of tangles versus the mono core lines I've been fishing was great.
I think I only had a few which is nothing compared to the mono core lines.
Very easy to untangle and some of them just undid themselves as they hit the first stripping guide.

The one thing I didn't like was the sink rate. It just didn't sink very quickly.
The running line would kind of hover on the surface before starting to sink.
The line is rated for 1.25" sink rate. The mono core lines I've been fishing are rated at 1.5" per sec.
Not a huge difference in the two sink rates but it was very noticeable even fishing a clouser.
In heavier current, it never got down very far and seemed to cause the fly to ride up higher in the water column.
I waded a bit deeper and stuck my rod tip further down in the water on the retrieve to get the depth I wanted.
Maybe my Rio mono core lines sink quicker because they are waterlogged due to all the cracks in them.

The elusive north sound cutthroat didn't seem to mind the non clear head. I got in a good hour or so nap in on the beach, so not a bad day at all.

Not quite the perfect beach line in my opinion, but close. Hopefully by this summer we'll have a few more options available in full intermediate lines with clear heads.
I hope other find this useful.
SF

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the review Brian! Good to know about the sink rate of this and makes you wonder if the Airflo Beach Line with clear Int. head and floating running line would be comparable with the depth of the fly...At least with the Airflo you get a clear head.

I fished both the Rio CQS and Orvis Bankshot (floater+popper) this morning and the Bankshot was a dream to shoot without the tangles.

#4 · (Edited)
Lou,
If the Airflo Beach line is anything like the old 40+ with a clear head, I think even with a floating running line it easily sink better then the SA line.
I'm going to give the SA line a few more trips. Maybe as it wears it will sink better.

troutpocket,
Interesting observation regarding the mono core version sinking faster then the braided core model of the same line.
I fish with someone who fishes the mono core version of the SA line I fished today and I've never heard him express that his line doesn't sink fast enough.
SF

#5 ·
Like myself, many are in search for the perfect beach line.
I gave a new one a shot today and thought I'd share what I found after fishing it today.

I fished the SA Sonar Titan Full Intermediate today. I used a 7wt, 240g on my 6 wt.
This line has a braided core and a non clear head.
I really like intermediate lines with clear heads, but decided to give this line a try to see how the durability is and to eliminate the tangles associated with mono core lines.
I did a quick beach trip this morning and fished the line for about four hours.

First thing I noticed was how slick the line was. Much more slick then the lines I've been fishing.
It slipped out of my hands a few times with a two handed strip, but no big deal.
The slickness really helps when shooting the line.

The lack of tangles versus the mono core lines I've been fishing was great.
I think I only a few which is nothing compared to the mono core lines.
Very easy to untangle and some of them just undid themselves as they hit the first stripping guide.

The one thing I didn't like was the sink rate. It just didn't sink very quickly.
The running line would kind of hover on the surface before starting to sink.
The line is rated for 1.25" sink rate. The mono lines I've been fishing are rated at 1.5" per sec.
Not a huge difference in the two sink rates but it was very noticeable even fishing a clouser.
In heavier current, it never got down very far and seemed to cause the fly to ride up higher in the water column.
I waded a bit deeper and stuck my rod tip further down in the water on the retrieve to get the depth I wanted.
Maybe my Rio mono core lines sink quicker because they are waterlogged due to all the cracks in them.

The elusive north sound cutthroat didn't seem to mind the non clear head. I got in a good hour or so nap in on the beach, so not a bad day at all.

Not quite the perfect beach line in my opinion, but close. Hopefully by this summer we'll have a few more options available in full intermediate lines with clear heads.
I hope other find this useful.
SF
Thanks for the review Brian, good stuff!

#7 ·
Jon,
I may try this SA line next if the intermediate doesn't start sinking.
http://www.scientificanglers.com/product/sonar-titan-int-sink-3-sink-5/

Basically a intermediate running line that goes into a type 3 then a type 5.
From what I've read, many are saying that it really sinks more like a type 3 (2.5" to 3.5" per sec) rather then a type 5. That would be perfect for coho on some of the more sloping beaches with deeper water.
Even with a bit quicker sink rate then a intermediate, hanging up on bottom wouldn't be an issue while stripping fast.

It seems the braided core SA lines aren't sinking as fast as their specs say they should.
SF

#9 ·
Brian, I may have mentioned it before but I've fished the Airflo Beach line with the type 6 head a couple times this year from a boat. We used it all day and would cast right up to shore and even then with a fast retrieve there was no issues with hang ups, but by the time you go it back to boat you had decent depth. I'm thinking even that fast sink head would work well from many of the typical coho beaches. I plan to get one for my kayak and also for the beach later this year. Also the fast sink head sinks the floating running line like it's an intermediate so not many issues there.

I talked to a lake guy that uses that int-3-5 line you mentioned. He got it hoping is was more like a 3, but said it fished like a 5. But only the last section, so I think the slower sink sections will keep the entire line from sinking too far and keep a nice straight line path back to the rod tip. I bet it would work well.

#10 · (Edited)
Matt,
Good info. Perhaps it may seem like a type 5 in a lake just due to the way it is fished.
I think you are like me when beach fishing. Cast and as soon as the fly hits the water, you start to strip.
With a coho type fast strip, dredging bottom shouldn't be an issue.

The guys that are stating that Int/3/5 sinks more like a type 3 are mostly fishing it in the salt.
A few commented they wish they had skipped the Int/3/5 and gone directly to the 3/5/7 instead because of the better sink rate.
That they are saying it sinks more like a type 3 makes me think it might be a perfect fit for our local beaches.
SF

#14 ·
Matt,
Good info. Perhaps it may seem like a type 5 in a lake just due to the way it is fished.
I think you are like me when beach fishing. Cast and as soon as the fly hits the water, you start to strip.
With a coho type fast strip, dredging bottom shouldn't be an issue.

The guys that are stating that Int/3/5 sinks more like a type 3 are mostly fishing it in the salt.
A few commented they wish they had skipped the Int/3/5 and gone directly to the 3/5/7 instead because of the better sink rate.
That they are saying it sinks more like a type 3 makes me think it might be a perfect fit for our local beaches.
SF
My guess is it will work well for us in the typical beach applications. Does that still have the Titan taper? I've been thinking about trying a faster sinking line for quite some time, so maybe I finally will this year. I think the faster rates will really be advantageous on the days with bigger waves to help get the line down below the chop.

#13 · (Edited)
Just to add to DimeBrite's comments.
I called SA customer service regarding what "Temperate" meant in regards to water temps.

I told them I'd be fishing Puget Sound and the water temps I'd be fishing would generally be in the 50's. I also mentioned I might fish in air temps in the mid teens on occasion.
Their customer service rep said that would be no problem for their lines rated as "temperate".
He said the line may require some slight stretching even with the braided core on days with super cold air temps.

Good customer service unlike another major line company I sent an email to nearly two weeks ago and still haven't received a response.
SF

#15 ·
Matt,
Yes, the int/3/5 has the Titan taper.
The number of types of lines SA now offers is mind boggling.
I was looking at options for streamer lines on their website and they had 93 options, lol.

Agree with you on getting below the chop. Should also help in getting down in heavier current.
SF

#17 ·
Matt,
Yes, the int/3/5 has the Titan taper.
The number of types of lines SA now offers is mind boggling.
I was looking at options for streamer lines on their website and they had 93 options, lol.

Agree with you on getting below the chop. Should also help in getting down in heavier current.
SF
Speaking of streamer lines....we should make another trip throwing streamers this year! I bet those alpha predators would work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.