Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sad News, Doug Rose Has Died.

9K views 65 replies 62 participants last post by  Bryce Comstock 
#1 ·
I am deeply sorry to have to share with you that our great champion of wild fish conservation and the fly fishing life, Doug Rose, has died after a brief battle with cancer.
Fair winds to a great heart and good friend.

#32 ·
A fantastic photo of him Jack, i'm guessing he was a good friend of yours.
Although I never met this man, I thoroughly enjoyed his blogs and the wisdom he shared with all of us. His passion of the outdoors and for what he stood for will be sorely missed.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends who lost a sibling, spouse, parent and fellow angler....

#31 ·
DOUG ROSE
Author, Lecturer, Fly Fishing Guide and Friend
RIP
I am struggling to find the words to describe the loss that I am feeling. Doug was a teacher who has shared his knowledge with thousands through his books, his blog Doug Rose Fly Fishing and seminars like Cutts and Chum that I was lucky enough to tie flies at last spring. This August my son Caldwell and I were in Port Townsend for a trip with Bob Triggs when who wandered up at the cut but Doug. I am so grateful that Bob snapped the attached photo. I laughed again today when rereading Bob's description of the encounter, "Once we got to the beach we realized that we were being stalked by a vagrant. Steve was very kind to this poor man. - with Doug Rose and Steve Rohrbach."
The fly fishing community has lost a leader today. Our fish will miss his steady hand and reminder of the need for conservation. Most of all, the world will miss his kindness and laugh that warmed a room.
Glasses Sky Cloud Smile Vertebrate
Tight lines my friend!

#33 ·
I have read thousands of posts on this forum. I have read very few as heartfelt and well written. Thank you for sharing!

DOUG ROSE
Author, Lecturer, Fly Fishing Guide and Friend
RIP
I am struggling to find the words to describe the loss that I am feeling. Doug was a teacher who has shared his knowledge with thousands through his books, his blog Doug Rose Fly Fishing and seminars like Cutts and Chum that I was lucky enough to tie flies at last spring. This August my son Caldwell and I were in Port Townsend for a trip with Bob Triggs when who wandered up at the cut but Doug. I am so grateful that Bob snapped the attached photo. I laughed again today when rereading Bob's description of the encounter, "Once we got to the beach we realized that we were being stalked by a vagrant. Steve was very kind to this poor man. - with Doug Rose and Steve Rohrbach."
The fly fishing community has lost a leader today. Our fish will miss his steady hand and reminder of the need for conservation. Most of all, the world will miss his kindness and laugh that warmed a room. View attachment 25377
Tight lines my friend!

#35 ·
I never met Doug, but I can tell he meant an awful lot to many people. I am going to hold Doug, his family, his friends, and everyone he touched close to my heart tonight. My condolences, everyone who knew this man.

Godspeed on the next leg of your journey, Doug.

#38 ·
Sorry to hear that too. I frequented his blog often and have read all of his books more than once.

#43 ·
"Hey Leland, come here! There's a good fish that rose about 40' feet over there, put your popper in the ring," said Doug. I did and I hooked it. "That was fantastic, what a great take!" he said in between laughs. As he framed this photo, he laughed that great laugh that could only come from Doug. I will miss him. Thanks Doug. Rest in peace my friend.
Leland.
Water Vertebrate Lake Sky Casting (fishing)

#44 ·
Wow, wow, wow. This news is like a punch to the gut. Like many others, I first got to know Doug through his writing about the OP rivers, especially the Color of Winter. A few years ago, my wife wanted to hike from Lake Ozette to Cape Alava. Remembering a story by Doug in the Color of Winter, I shlepped in my fly rod and wading boots and fished for pretty, searun cutts in the freshwater lagoon of the Ozette River - very cool. The next summer, I asked him to guide me to some potential fishing locations around Forks. I caught my first silver on a fly that morning and a nice hatchery steelhead the next day at a spot I had fished with Doug the previous day. Our day was great, filled with his stories of the history of the early pioneers of the OP rivers and the prominent names in flyfishing in the area. And, at my specific request, he really worked with me on recognizing quality holding water. Through our conversations we shared our love of the Ranch section of the Elwha and our hopes that the removal of the dams would improve this special place. We became friends and I treasure my conversations and emails that we exchanged.

The measure of a life is not the money we earn; we can't take it with us. But it is in the impressions that we make in the lives of others. Those impressions will live on long after our corporal remains are no longer. By that measure, Doug was a giant and will live on through his writings and the memories of his friends. He has joined that Pantheon of heroes of flyfishing in that special place, the West End.

I will miss him. My deepest condolences to his wife and Doug's other friends.

Steve

#45 ·
My gosh, seems like just last week when we learned he was ill. I can only hope that when my time comes I too can pass so quickly.

Sigh.

K

#47 ·
I am so saddened to hear of this. His sweet words of prose will live on forever as his kindness given to so many friends and fishing compatriots. I feel so very fortunate to have known him so very briefly because of the impact he has had on me as a fisherman. His kindness to me came at an important part in my life.

To those of you who have known him the best and have loved him and been loved by him my deepest condolences and prayers that your hearts are someday healed.

#48 ·
I am saddened to read the news. He way Doug wrote really resonates with me, I love reading his books. I have met Doug and ran into him a few times out and about. Always delightful, caring and wiling to share some knowledge. Strength to Doug's family and friends. You will be missed, but not forgotten.

#49 ·
I'm saddened to hear the news. A great one lost too soon. Back in September I was supposed to fish with Doug for the first time, but the flows were so low that he let us reschedule for a later date to be determined. That date was unfortunately never scheduled, and I will regret that for the rest of my life. His books were the catalyst that led me towards the passion that I have for steelhead. Godspeed good sir. I still expect that trip once I leave this world.

#51 ·
Very sad to see Doug pass on. Although I did not know him personally, like many others, I have been greatly inspired by his writing. He captured the essence of what I hold most dear about rivers and fishing as well as anyone. Doug was one of the good guys and it stinks he is no longer with us. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. May the waters always be steelhead green in the rest of your journey, Doug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.