Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sad News, Doug Rose Has Died.

9K views 65 replies 62 participants last post by  Bryce Comstock 
#1 ·
I am deeply sorry to have to share with you that our great champion of wild fish conservation and the fly fishing life, Doug Rose, has died after a brief battle with cancer.
Fair winds to a great heart and good friend.

#2 ·
Very sorry to hear that Bob. Too many have been lost from cancer, and it's even worse when they champion a cause.

#7 ·
Very sad news! My condolences to his family and friends. I met him briefly, but never got the chance to know him.. wish I had.

He will be in my thoughts today and the next time I'm out on the beach. Peace Doug!

#15 ·
I don't even know what to say. This is terrible news. If anything, Mr. Rose helped foster my own appreciation, via his writing, for the fly fishing history and traditions of the Olympic Peninsula. You will be missed. RIP

P.S. Maybe you will finally get see Syd Glasso tie a spey fly.

Reactions: Bill Aubrey
#24 ·
To date, I've only visited the OP twice. Once in 2009, once in 2011, and going again next week for a few days. In 2011, a friend and I decided to try the upper Bogachiel River. It was mid-week and not a lot of people out. We parked the SUV and walked down to the spot we knew we wanted to fish. Upon arriving, we first noticed an older gentlman and a lady friend casting away, and initially a bit disappointed the spot was taken. From the bushes, away from the bank sitting quietly but watching the two intently, was an unassuming gentleman wearing an outfit and having a stature more suited to an english professor than a steelhead guide. He used his walking stick to help himself to his feet and we shook hands and proceeded to engage in coversation. We had an enjoyable conversation; calm, relaxing, without much opinion one way or another, just conversation. But his passion for where he was at that moment in time came through loud and clear. At some point during the conversation, we exchanged pleasantries and names; he introduced himslef as Doug Rose. We never wet a line but I felt content that I had taken from the spot more than I came to get.

It's painful to loose, especially at a young age, such people of the world who's dedication to the wilderness is contageous simply by meeting them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.