sage 1016 - light line casting

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Nov 22, 2011.

1. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Mark, if you were to adjust the timing ie.slow down with the longer line to allow the extra length to do its thing I think you would find that it is not harder. You always have to adjust your stroke length and timing to allow for shorter or longer heads wether single or double hand lines...correct?

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  3. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Mark,
    My observation was concerning the last two videos that you have up, in the first with the longer line you have the exact same speed and stroke as the second so this might be why you `feel` that they are harder.
    If shorter lines were more efficient they would rule the distance game....but they dont.

4. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Wouldnt the longer line have more kinetic energy going for it to produce the longer casts? and overcome any air drag?

Just a wild stab, as at face value I am not that smart, but once you get to know me you will realize, I am a complete moron.:ray1:

Great posts and discussion fellas.

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

This thread is really good. Thanks.

Also, do you have any experience with say a 5wt spey and say a 3wt line?? I am looking for a super light spey setup for swinging soft hackles on large runs.

8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  9. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Mark, the main reason the long lines will always go further is because they turn over slower than the short lines. People have tried skagit lines at SOR and the rules even favor said lines but they just cannot compete with the long lines.
    The reason the rod is bending deeper on the lift with the longer line in your video is because you are rushing the lift, very simple really.

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  11. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Mark we are talking about a speycasting comp not a spin casting comp although if you really want to have some fun lash 2 650grn skagit heads together and atach them to mono on a big spinning reel on a 18ft 11wght rod and see how far it will go.
    The rules are that the lines must be floating, delaying turnover is imprtant because once a line has turned over it is no longer pulling or shooting as it were.
    I think the reason you prefer the lighter lines is because of the feel that you get of casting off of the tip which compliments your casting style and yes I have experimented with this years ago but once you learn to bend the rod properlly it does the work for you instead of you doing the work and thus it is less effort expended. The video of you casting the longer line is a prime example, by your own admision you are still learning the long belly and thus not casting it properlly and it shows that you are exerting way more energy than is needed to cast that line.

12. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  13. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

as usual Mark you lost me. I am not arguing `Your` opinion that lighter lines are less work.
    If you can bend the rod properlly it is less work overall. Does it not make more sense to let the rod do the work for you?
    Take a look at the worlds best distance casters and you will notice one very common thing, the line goes a very long ways with minimal effort.
    But then again they could all be wrong and you are right!?????

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
  15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Guys, casting is a subjective thing and part of the artform that is fly fishing. There is no "right" way to cast any fly rod with any line. The only thing that makes the cast "right" or "wrong" is did it put the fly in the fishes mouth?

I am very intrigued by this thread and the responses, even though some are over my head. It seems you are getting alot of flak yuhina for casting a non traditional system, but someone has to be there to innovate new techniques. All i see in the video are long, easy casts, with minimal time between. Looks super effective to me!