Sage 5126 z axis or TFO deer creek 5/6 ?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by bilnik, Apr 16, 2008.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I have a Deer Creek 5/6, love it love it, for steelies up to 12 lb so far- bends all the way to the lower grip with a good sized fish on! very sporting. The Deer Creeks use either the MKS or Highlander taper, both Meiser/Kinney designed, depending which model you choose.
    Deer creek 5/6 is built on the MKS taper, which is a regressive taper rather than a progressive taper that the majority of rods are built on. It loves the lower hand/underhand and wants you to shoot for the sky. It gives a "slingshot feeling" with scando and skagit tapers, real easy to cast and doesn't tire you out.
    I also have a Deer Creek 15' 8/9, which is on a Highlander taper, and man is that one hell of a stick. words fail me.
    I tried out some Z-axi at Speyclave and really like them, some guys won't fish anything else, but you could have TWO Deer Creeks for what a Z-Axis will cost you.
    Oh yeh, I'm getting a 13' 5/6/7 Meiser hybrid ordered soon. Brrrrrrr. cool. hooah

2. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

If you want a light in the hand 5/6 spey look at the G Loomis Kispiox Dredger. Its a sweet stick, makes even 16" SRC's fun.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Yeah the Kispiox is a great stick. It loads really deep into the blank and is a really nice stick to cast. That is what I have now after using Bove's a few times on trips.

4. SSPey

SSPey Member

spaz, the TFO DC 12'6" is patterned off a Highlander type taper, not an MKS.

5. SpeySpaz

you're absolutely right, I misremembered if that's a real word. see my exerpt from spey pages on next page of this string.

6. SSPey

SSPey Member

7. SpeySpaz

Here's a quote from Speypages, I stand corrected on the MKS taper assertion: Meiser told me it was Highlander! Duh, how do I look with egg on my face? It's the mid sized DeerCreeks that are MKS tapers. What I said about it still goes though-the 5/6 loves the underhand.

"any idea what the grain window is on that 15' 8/9 rod? I forgot to ask Mr Meiser when I emailed him about it.
    I understand it's pretty wide on those Deer Creeks.
    BTW, here's our exchange in case anyone else had the same question as me- my question is at the bottom. his answer is as follows:

The Deer Creeks are all fines sticks <> Great fishing tools.

The 15'0" 8/9 is in essence a Highlander taper ... A bit different then the MKS rods.

The Deer Creeks are based on the following:

12'6" 5/6 <> Highlander

13'0' 7/8 <> MKS

13'6" 8/9 <> MKS

14'0" 9/10 <> MKS

15'0" 8/9 <> Highlander

Bob Meiser

To: rmeiser@charter.net
    Subject: An aside (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hi sir-

How does the Deer Creek series of rods compare in taper/action to the

Highlanders and MKS series? I'm thinking particularly about the 15' 8/9.

I held an MKS in my hands for the first time Sunday, and I was

enthralled with the workmanship.

But I'm a newbie and a notorious rod-thrasher, so I'm thinking the Deer

creek might be a better jump-off point for me."