Sage 590-4 LL Value?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    30 years ago I got my business partner into fly fishing, and now he wants me to get him out of his rods as he's lost interest. He's doing an inventory for me now. I think they are all Sage and Scott G.

One is curious, the 590-4 LL. I can't find any comps for it--only a couple for the 3 piece. Can anyone help me establish a fair value? I told him I'd put all the rods up here first before eBay. It will be a couple of weeks. Thanks.

John

2. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
  3. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

$450 might be a bit on the high side but it is a close starting point. I think I paid like $375 or something for my LL 379.

Stew

4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Found that (we don't know if it was finalized) and two eBay comps for the three piece. I normally wouldn't bug people about values, but I'm surprised of the lack of search returns for comps for this rod. Thanks RB.

$450 might be a bit on the high side but it is a close starting point. I think I paid like $375 or something for my LL 379.

You probably did. Check eBay now. + $500 for that rod. I think I saw a 389 LL that went for over $600 a month or two ago. A year ago you could buy them for $300-$350. I don't the think the 590-4 will bring that, however--the 389LL is pretty much a standout. Guessing mid 4s, without seeing the rod yet. I am not sure he ever used it, nor is he. He didn't even know he had it until I told him to look for LLs.

5. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    No doubt! I would think an older Sage rod like that would be plastered all over search engines. Especially one that seems so highly regarded.

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Shoot.... if someone offered me $450 for mine I'd really consider selling it. If I placed a value on the rod based on what I've seen Sage's (in general) selling for I'd probably say #250-275. I'd probably add in a $20 premium for a 4 piece.

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:

That's kind of what I told him. Sell the good rods you don't use anyway and get a couple of Redington CTs if you ever want to go out again.

Stew McLeod likes this.
  8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

My Sage 590-2 LL retailed for $315 in 1989.

Sg

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It's worth remembering that the market for used gear can vary substantially during the course of a year.

I've found that the best time to start selling gear is in March or April, after the holiday financial hangover has eased. The longer and warmer days means fishing season is on the horizon, so prospective buyers don't seem to mind paying a bit more, especially if they'll be getting an income tax return.

Conversely, from Halloween to New Years, not only are most folks done fishing for the year, but with Christmas on the way, their budget for used gear is usually limited. I've picked up some good deals in late fall from guys who are desperate to turn unwanted gear into money for presents.

It's entirely possible that a 379LL that sells for $500.00 in May or June might only bring $350.00 in November or December.

However, your mileage may vary.

K

LCnSac likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Sometimes fly fishers should consider the performance and not the name status. I have both a 389 LL and a Redington CT 8 1/2 foot 3 wt. Both feel the same when casting.

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Hummmm…..yes…I've found February a fine time to unload bring to market 8-12 wt gear for the snowbound-crazed midwesterners planning their Florida Tarpon/Snook/Bone trips :)

12. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

You need to do what pawn shops, and second hand stores do when they prepare to purchase something off of you. Go to ebay, and search for your particular rod. On the left hand side you will see completed listings and sold listings. Click on sold listings and calculate the average, then price accordingly.

13. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Duh. Did that. Not much there. But thanks.

14. tightlines411

tightlines411 Member

John, I will be watching your sale posts. I plan to keep my custom built rods and let go
    my factory rods(sage,scott,tfo,orvis). It's amazing how the collection has grown, including
    the reels. My parents will be requiring more of my help and my gear will see limited use.

Input on the timing to sell is also a consideration.

15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    It's interesting. Back then we were both living pretty high, and if you wanted a good rod you had to pay up. We did. Now there are so many good imports that you can forego the $800 rods and not give up as much as back then. Plus, fiberglass is coming on and those new are cheaper than graphite usually, unless you buy from a big name builder, and a $100 used glass rod can be a ton of fun. If he follows through and inventories I think they'll all be top end rods so it should be a pretty good test of value for the older models.