SAGE Online Warranty process very buggy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mbowers, Feb 15, 2014.

1. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

One of my many Sage warranty returns was eerily similar to yours, only I put my rod in the bed of a friends pickup truck under his canoe while fishing the Penobscot River in Maine a number of years ago.

We were just going a short distance upstream, and driving on a deeply rutted dirt road. Dumb. Dumb.

2. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:

Valid criticism. My apologies. Though your clarification came far below the post I was responding to so I didn't see it until after I posted. And it seems others had the same thought, hence your need to clarify.

But you didn't address the thought that is seems unrealistic for you expecting them to redesign their website to exactly match your wants AND to be answering your calls on weekends. Customer service is a two-way street. Companies like Sage generally go to great lengths to treat customers well, but customers have to be realistic!

Forget your need for instant gratification. Instead of bitching about them on a public forum, give them a chance to make it right.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Dan, the weekend expectation reminded me of that now famous Liberty Bottle response to the customer who expected them to work over Thanksgiving weekend. Our recorded message at work says our business hours are the normal M-F 8-4:30 but we still occasionally get nasty messages from customers for not being there at 9PM on a Saturday night. People seem to forget that manufacturers aren't retail stores or etailers...

Dan Nelson and constructeur like this.
  4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

royalcoach, you should know you wouldn't receive any sympathy here when it comes to a problem you had with Sage ... the fly anglers in the Seattle area protect Sage like a mother bear protects her cubs :)

I too, had a problem with the Sage service department and my solution was very simple: I no longer buy any product with a Sage logo affixed. And for me, that was a big deal. Most of my older rods are Sage and we named our first dog after the rod company!

Some folks receive great service from Sage, but not all. I didn't. So, as a consumer you don't need to complain about it... just never, ever buy another one of their products.

Works for me. (I would have changed the name of our dog but she wouldn't respond to Winston or TFO :p)

jordan101 likes this.
  5. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:

I see that your main argument is the change of price from 10 to 15 dollars. I feel your pain. I would hope that they would refund the 5 dollars and give you a shipping label after you point out this mistake to them. If not, tell Leland I said that you can have $25 off any purchase of $50 or more of a full price item at Orvis. This is only valid in Bellevue and it is a one time offer. At least this way, you come out $20 ahead.

Good luck.

6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

very kind of you sir, good on you for helping OP out, even though issue w/ different company

7. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

remind me not to fish with you if given the chance if you get this bent out of shape over 5 bucks. Holy shit.

8. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

You just made my day!!! :) :) :)

Jason Hoffman likes this.
  9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Same thing I was going to say.

Sage's are good rods so I hope you work your issue out and enjoy the rod when it's repaired and returned.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

Sage takes care of their customers. I know you'll probably get upset that I said that, but it's true. If calling them and talking to them about your issue, during business hours, is somehow interfering with your lifestyle then I guess it is a big issue that needs to be taken to a fishing forum where nobody can actually help you. Call them. It'll get taken care of.

If this is what people get upset about, no wonder our kids are growing up with entitlement issues. Parents pass this kind of irrationality down to their kids. They don't learn it on their own.

^^^this^^^

11. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Wasn't me GAT ....
    Sage was absolutely great when I busted the tip on my SLT.
    I love me some Sage.
    Shopping for a 596 One this week....
    Might just have to put the permit and roosterfish stickers on my Tundra too.... :D

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

This may be your problem: "I recently broke a One blank that I built with REC guides for saltwater use..." Sage DOES NOT have Custom Build 'partners,' they don't need them nor do they want them. They may sell the blanks at a discount to a builder, but beyond that you're on your own.

If you have a 'custom rod' of any kind all they do is Warranty the blank against 'workmanship and materials' supplied by them. To repeat: For the rest (rebuild) you're on your own.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

So you're saying there is yet more misinformation on Sage's website? How do you personally know they don't have custom build partners and don't need them? This is straight from Sage's website at http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/rod-building/

For those of you who are interested in purchasing a custom-built rod, please visit one of our custom rod building partners by clicking on a logo below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Wow! I have many Sage rods. I have had two warranty repairs over the years and both went off without a hitch. The last, two years ago, was new stripping guides on one of my Spey rods. I took it over to Bainbridge and dropped it off, got a tour of the factory, and the rod was in my hands eleven days later, no charge whatsoever. It did cost a bit for gas to drive over but the drive was pleasant on a sunny day. They are some of the nicest, most accomodating people I have ever met. Maybe you just had a bad day. PM me your address and I'll send you a $5 bill.

15. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I don't need any help from anyone on the forum to resolve an issue I'm aware of. I do however hope the forum will help me notice issues that I have not noticed. I posted the multiple issues so anyone else using the process will pay extra attention to make sure they are not overcharged. Is it so irrational of me to look out for my fellow man? When I talked to customer service BEFORE posting here there did not seem to be any interest in addressing the bugs so a rational man would draw the rational conclusion that those bugs plus the additional 4 bugs discovered since the first call to customer service will continue to impact other people.

I called the warranty department again today for the third time over these 6 issues and no one is there to pick up the phone after 6 rings. I have sent an email to customer service so hopefully I'll get some feedback there.

Irafly likes this.