sage Response rod

What size are you looking for. Honestly I think all across the Sage Response range can be beaten by other companies in the same price range or less. Look at the TFO BVK, or Orvis access. I personally think that Sage's lower end rods leave alot to be desired. You can get more for your money elseware. Get up to the 550-600 dollar range things change in Sages lineup for sure.

chief

What size are you looking for. Honestly I think all across the Sage Response range can be beaten by other companies in the same price range or less. Look at the TFO BVK, or Orvis access. I personally think that Sage's lower end rods leave alot to be desired. You can get more for your money elseware. Get up to the 550-600 dollar range things change in Sages lineup for sure.
I have not cast a Response, but, in general, I agree that most of the big name USA made manufacturer's lower end rods leave something to be desired. The price point rods made overseas seem to deliver a lot more performance for less money. St Croix may be the exception.

aplTyler

Inept Steelheader
I don't own one but I've cast a few and I think they're actually pretty dang nice rods. I enjoy the new Response as much as the VXP and I think it's a genuine upgrade over the older Flight (which I own). Cast it and see for yourself. With all that said, a made in the states product is nice. For overseas rods, an Echo (Echo 3) or Redington (Torrent) would be my call.

May be a lame question but has anyone used or own one. If so, outside of price point, what do you
think of them?
I bought a 9'6" 8 weight Response a month or so ago. I like it well enough, but I'm not much of a fly rod connissseur, so probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a more expensive rod. I like to buy US products when I can, and have been happy enough with another entry level Sage rod I bought a few years back, so went that way again.

I bought a 9'6" 8 weight Response a month or so ago. I like it well enough, but I'm not much of a fly rod connissseur, so probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a more expensive rod. I like to buy US products when I can, and have been happy enough with another entry level Sage rod I bought a few years back, so went that way again.
Thanks for the input Russ. I realize that it is not the SAGE ONE rod,
but it is half the price. That has to count for something. Have you fished it much?

That is a point, I doubt that I could do that, I am just not that good.
The tout it as a fast action rod and outfitted correctly I could probably get some distance.

Truth be told, I am quite happy with my old RP rod, but I just have to look sometimes. As I age, I am looking for something that is a little lighter and easier to cast. But the RP has served me well over the years. Besides I have a lot of memories in it.....

I handled one in the shop the other day, but it did not have a reel or line on it. It handled very well in the shop, but then again, what rod doesn't.

Lately I've found the only way for me to hit the pricepoint I want and get the type of rod I want is to buy used. Many people are selling good rods with blank warranty cards. You can get a lot for $300 in the classified section.

Sorry I can't help on your specific question. I think the overseas company's bread-and-butter is the mid priced stuff which is why they do it a bit better than companies like Sage. I picked up a lightly (if ever) used 9'6" 7wt Redington CPS for $150 this season. It's a great rod and I prefer it over my Sage Z-Axis (also bought used) so that says something I think!