Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Rods! At Sierratrading post!!!!!

Spey 
4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  fishheads 
#1 ·
Sage spey rods on sale at Sierra!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

#2 ·
Nice! Still out of my price range though.. :(

Can't tell if the European rod is the 7141 or not.. If I had the $ I would definitely be tempted though.

Cheers!
Bill

#5 ·
Yeah, I figured it probably was. I spent a morning a while back casting the 9141 with George Cook and really loved the action and boomed out some serious casts once I got rolling with it. Can't remember the exact way it was lined up, it was with tips though.

Haven't spent much time w/ the 7141, but I would assume it is similiar. Definitely a temptation, but I'm probably going to build my next spey. Leaning towards the 13'6" MKS at this point on a CTS blank. :cool:

Bill

#6 ·
The 9141 is what I cast and it is a real beaut. I love the rod. I use the Rio wintcutter 9/10/11 with it with tips. It will dredge a 5 inch leach and type 8 line out of the water with ease. Great rod! Steve Buckner turned me onto this rod. He has been playing around with a scandi set-up with it and loves it. I think if I had to do it again I would have picked up the 7141 just because the 9141 is a bit big for summer fish.

#7 ·
flybill said:
Haven't spent much time w/ the 7141, but I would assume it is similiar. Definitely a temptation, but I'm probably going to build my next spey. Leaning towards the 13'6" MKS at this point on a CTS blank. :cool:

Bill
Not to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong, but if you are considering the MKS, the 7141 probably isn't what you want. Night and day. Don't let a good deal put a rod in your hand you won't be happy with in the long run. I'll shut up now...

#10 ·
The 7141 in my opinion is best "slowed down" a bit with a heavier line. No way it is a true 7-wt. I use it with an 8/9/10 windcutter and it is my primary winter-run rod. I also use it on summers but not for dry fly work. It's a fast action rod that is really more of an 8/9. With an 8/9/10 windcutter or a 600 gr. Skagit +/- a cheater it will blow most people's socks off. For the price they are asking it is a great way to go if you like a crisper action rod.

#11 ·
Philster said:
Not to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong, but if you are considering the MKS, the 7141 probably isn't what you want. Night and day. Don't let a good deal put a rod in your hand you won't be happy with in the long run. I'll shut up now...
No problem Philster, I know the two rods are quite different. While the temptation is high for a new Sage spey, I'm really looking to fill the need for a winter rod that will throw tips well and love the Mieser rods. I've cast most of them and really like the 13'6" MKS!! Actually can't say enough good things on most of the Meiser's rods, since I've cast mosted of the line up between the Sandy Clave last year and with Aaron and Mike. I really did like the 9141 when I cast it, but don't think I've cast the 7141. I was just drooling a bit over a new toy! :D

speyfisher said:
What is a CTS blank?
Regarding the CTS blank, CTS is the company that Bob Meiser uses to produce his blanks and you can get the exact blank that he uses to build your own rod. I believe Bob will actually sell you the same components he uses if you want him too and even complete the grip for you so all you would need to do is wrap the guides and epoxy... Ron up at All About the Fly in Monroe can give you more info on the actual blank than I know about it, but I can say they're sweet to cast and fish!!

Cheers!
Bill

#12 ·
bigtj said:
The 7141 in my opinion is best "slowed down" a bit with a heavier line. No way it is a true 7-wt. I use it with an 8/9/10 windcutter and it is my primary winter-run rod. I also use it on summers but not for dry fly work. It's a fast action rod that is really more of an 8/9. With an 8/9/10 windcutter or a 600 gr. Skagit +/- a cheater it will blow most people's socks off. For the price they are asking it is a great way to go if you like a crisper action rod.
I'll have to give the rod a try some time! Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed the 9141 when I spent some time with it!

Cheer's!
Bill

#15 ·
I've got both the 7141 and 9141. I think they're both great rods. These rods are somewhat faster than other 2-handers, I find them to be great all purpose rods. With these rods I've thrown long-belly xlt's, mid-length lines like the Rio Mid-spey, and skagit lines. I prefer the stiffer, faster action and find that it picks up heavy tips well and also works fine with dry lines. I've seen some rods almost collapse when picking up tips and only seem to work well with dry lines. Wish I had the 6 weight and 10 weight in the same line of rods from Sage.

I have not compared the action of these two rods in depth to Meiser's but from what I recall, and while I like Meiser rods, I don't believe I've thrown any of Meiser's rods that are quite as fast as these. I also haven't explored the new z-axis rods from Sage. I'm told by Al Buhr that the new Sage Z-Axis line of rods doesn't have anything comparable to the Sage Euro models listed above, Al seemed to also be a fan of the 9141. I'll admit, I'm surprised that they're discontinuing them and/or hope they build something like them going forward.

#16 ·
Yes Sage has replaced the "euro" rods with something new and exciting. I am quite surprised that Sierra has any of these rods to sell because at the end Sage claimed they didn't have any left and as far as I know they weren't taking them back.

The Sierra deal is actually better then it appears as they state the retail price was $705.00 when according to my catalog it was $760.00 for a 7141.

I have one of these rods (7141) in stock and I will match Sierra's price of $493.50usd and ship it for free in conus.

#20 ·
If I had the clams I would jump on your deal.
I'll raise. Add any Lamson I stock to the deal and I'll throw in any Rio or Airflo floating spey line with backing, a knotless 15' leader, and AgentX line dressing @ no cost.

#21 ·
Wow! Instead of the January white sale at Penny's and Macy's, it the January Spey Sale! Holy Batman! I knew Sage thinks highly of their equipment, but when I saw the retail price for those Sage Spey rods, I had to gasp for air. Mike's deal brings the Sage setup to the realm where mere mortals shop and fish. Unfortunately, I've run out of reasons to rationalize yet another Spey rod purchase.

#22 ·
You can call it a January "White Sale" if you'd like as it is pretty white outside, it has been that way for several days and it looks like it going to be that way for several more days.

#24 ·
I spent a lot of time casting and comparing the Meiser MKS rod and the 7141 and I ultimately decided on the 7141. I like the rod a lot. As I would describe it, you feel the bend in the rod deeper (closer to the handle) with the MKS rod. I ended up preferring the tipier action of the 7141. I felt I had more leverage with the rod. I ultimately chose it because I felt casting was more effortless with the rod for me. I also appreciated the backbone of the rod. I am doing a sloppy cast or have little backroom for the d-loop, I can punch the rod and get the line out.

I know this is a matter of personal preference and that is where my preferences were.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.