Sage TCX

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Loopy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Tyler,

Since this rod is a modification of its TCR predecessor, it still will be much faster than the Z-Axis. Not having cast the TCX yet, I can't tell you to what degree the stiffness variance is between the two rods.

John,

A 10' rod will always be more "willowy" for lack of a better term, than shorter models of the same weight. The Sage TCR 690 is noticibly stiffer than the more favored 697 model, since the added 6" of the 697, imparts greater feel during casting.

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Good point! Bob

Personally, I will see TCX as the new version of the XP. (not TCR.)
    590 XP and TCX has similar action... well... to me...
    Another thing, the TCXs are much easy to cast (SAGE people will tell you that too), I tried some sloppy casts in the practice...it's hard to make a tailing loop...

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have seen a single photo of the new TCX. Did sage go to some different hardware on this rod? It looked like a titanium (silver) reel seat, not the traditional black.

4. Bob M

Bob M New Member

I picked up a 4, 5 and 8 weight TCX the other day. More powerful and quicker than a Z Axis (traded mine in). No tailing loops if you overpower it. This was a problem I had with the z axis. Very fast tip recovery. Extremely accurate. What can I say? Get one.

By the way. If you think they are expensive in the USA try paying UK prices!!

5. T.Vince

T.Vince New Member

Hello,

Went fishing today, with my new Sage TCX 691-4. Never had a better feeling during the cast! Cool new toy!(See picture)

Just wanted to hear, if any one got some recomandations for a good line on it?

Right now i am using a Scierra HMT 8wt WF. It has a 17grams belly, and feels right. But im looking into getting an S.A. GPX og Exp.dist. What line klass would fit?

:)

Vince

Attached Files:

6. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

The TCX is a really awesome rod. I casted one yesterday at Puget Sound Fly with another gentleman. We also took out a Z-Axis to compare. Both are extremely very nice and here is my take.

For me, From the get go, I could tell the TCX rod was a more stiff than the Z-axis. Not that it is a bad thing because it was very very very smooth kindof a stiffness if there is any other explanation than that? Compared the stiffness with the TCR however, the TCRs IMHO is way more stiff, thus harder to cast. Even with the "smooth" stiffness in the TCX it is very very easy to cast. Just pick it up and go without concentrating one bit on the cast. A couple of backcasts and let it go and all of your line shoots out with little to no effort.

Compared to the Z-axis. They are both extremely similar to me as far as fast action, but of course the Z-axis has more flex than the TCX.

We were casting with an SA GPX 5 weight and man, there was no effort whatsoever to cast those things.

First time at the shop (picking my dad up at the airport) and I'll always go if I'm down that way. Anil is a cool dude. Picked up some material after Anil tied up a fly for me.

Holy smokes on the price of the TCX man! But that's just the way it is these days.

Good fishing, Matt

7. Thiago - Brazil

Thiago - Brazil Member

Home Page:
    I bought a # 7 9 feet and I have some bad plans to this rod, like a 20 lbs peacock bass

The rod has not arrived yet, will try it on the yard first with an old line.

If the rod dont fit my style will sell and get the Winston B2X # 7 that Im sure is fantastic.

8. Jason Shutt

Jason Shutt Dues past due

Porter- an in-house source told me the reel seat is aluminum.

Casted the TCX, XP and Z-axis last night with him. For a newbie like me that likes it real fast, they all seemed to do the job, and the difference was like splitting hairs. The TCX just seemed much more comfortable for me, but they would all do a fine job if need be.

Can't wait for my 6 wt. to get here.

9. Sageman

Sageman Member

Have the TCX 890-4. Love it. Used it for a week of bonefishing down in Andros last winter and now for steelhead. Lightweight, very powerful, and very fast. Highly recommend it. I also have an XP and a Burkheimer, and this is way, way better.

10. Benjiman

Benjiman New Member

I own a 490-4 and love this rod. That being said, mine was a gift and before owning an 800$ rod I would probably never have purchased one on my own. But after fishing it awhile I will never flinch at tossing out the cash for another. I can cast the line or just lay out the leader with it, which is great concerning my casting prowess or lack there of! Can I afford an Audi R8? No! Would I be ashamed to have one? Probably, but who cares?
    I lined mine with an SA Shark Skin and am really impressed with this line as well. It did all the ad said it would but I haven't had it long enough to say wether or not the durability claims are true. Also this line will smoke your fingers on a run. Like a chain saw blade in that sense.
    But we all know that one mans treasure is yard sale material for another.