Sage Z-Axis Spey Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by poirierpro, Sep 10, 2009.

1. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

I guess this question is for all of you that own or have casted a Z-Axis spey rod. I'm looking at getting into a higher end spey and want to get some feedback on this series of rods. I mainly fish the Ronde, Methow, and Clearwater rivers...floaters in the summer and early fall...but do most of my fishing in the late fall/early winter throwing various tips. I will obviously test cast the rod before I buy but want to know your thoughts on were to start and maybe some line recommendations.

The Pro

2. RogueRiverBrat

RogueRiverBrat New Member

Well Sage are good rods, made in the USA (local to most people on this board), but to me, a factory built Sage, say 7136 for $800, verus $700 for a hand made rod from Meiser? Unless you are a Guide and getting that $800 rod for half off (Meiz doesn't give many if any discounts) why a Sage?

3. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

I like to support my local fly shop. :)

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I purchased a used Sage Z-axis 7136 and have a set up that has a running line, then the matching AFS head for floating lines and a Skagit head for tips. Had it out this past weekend for some practice (since I didn't catch anything) and really like this setup. I still need to cast a heavier sinktip to see how it will cast, but it cast the sinking Versileader wonderfully with the Skagit. Nice rod with lots of power. And the AFS head with the Versileader was very fine as well. I don't think you can go wrong with this line of rods.

Wayne

5. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

:thumb:Z's are good rods. But Meiser is second to none :thumb:

In all seriousness, the quality these days is top notch. For that price, the big names will have something that will sort you out. Depending on the rod, I have HEARD that a number of people like the Delta's, but if you are thinking tips, I might suggest a skagit.

Might help if you explained the line wt. in question, types of flies, and preferred casting (Skag, Scandi, long belly, etc.). I would guess a 13-footer in the 7/8 range?

6. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

I will be throwing a Skagit head may switch to a compact Skagit...looking at the 7136 or the 8134...I guess I'm looking for the "do it all" rod...if there is such a thing. I throw a lot of tips with bugs ranging from traditional steelhead patterns to MOALs and Larimer leeches...

7. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

You can go ahead and get the Sage, but eventually you will list it in the classified section here or on fleaBay and buy a Meiser, or at least wish that you could. Chukar and Rogue answered your question frankly and honestly. I'm with them. Their advise is good.

8. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Thomas & Thomas 1307....you should try one out.

9. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Loved my Sage. 7136 w/compact 510 gr. throws nicely, according to Bryan. I love Meiser rods a little more. Look into an MKS or a Highlander. Both are great....There are so many great rods out there from Winston, Loop, Sage, T&T, etc. I really like Meiser Rods for some reason.

The best part is figuring out which one YOU like.

Cal

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I bought a Mieser and sold after using it a couple of times. To soft. I own a number of Sages and love them all. I have never cast a Sage I didn't like. I have bought and sold many brands of rods and I always come back to my Sages. I am done with what I call boutique fly rods.

11. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Sage 7136 Z-Axis is an awesome rod. I've become very partial to this rod, and have found none quite like it. The Meiser rods are great and there are other great rod makers out there, but "I" prefer the lightness and feel of the Z-Axis. For instance, I have two switch rods, one system 4 Meiser and the other a 7110 Z-Axis; I don't really use the Meiser, because the 7110 is just a blast to cast.

Lines I like for the 7136 Z: Airflo Compact Skagit 480 and the Airflo Compact Scandi 420.

I find the best tips, for the Compact Skagit, to be sections of T14 in 6',8' & 10' lenghts, not that it won't handle more, I've just never had a need for my 12' sections of T14. As far as the Compact Scandi, I used to think floating poly leaders were the best, have since grown to hate them and just build 13-15' mono leaders. Just a side note: At this time I do feel the 14' sinking polys still have value in the right situation...your welcome to talk me out of it, i'm just looking for an excuse to totally abandon the "Poly Leader" ship.

Anyway find what feels good to you and go fish!

James

12. willisbrow

willisbrow Member

Spend an extra $100 and get a Burkheimer 8134-4 sweet rod with 480 scandi head and the best skagit rod i have ever cast. I was using a 570 and 600 grain air flow compact skagit. GO GET IT

13. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

Thanks James!

14. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    I love my Z-Axis 7136 but don't have anything else in my quiver to compare it to. I wanted an all around spey rod and chose this one, with no plans to get another two hander - yeah, said that when I got my first single hander, too ; ) The action feels perfect for me. I use an Airflo Compact Skagit 510 (tried a Rio Skagit 500 and was OK, but the compact is better). Also have an Airflo compact Scandi 480 that is a good match. I'm still getting the hang of spey casting, but every time I go out I feel like I'm getting a little better. The rod is a blast to cast.

15. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Pro, I do not think you are going to find a rod that will be ideal for all three rivers. The Clearwater has some big water where distance makes a big difference. It can also have some real windy days. Most of the time I grab my Meiser 15' 7/8/9 and an 8/9 long delta. Then there are the days where the water level is high and it is a place with no backcast room and a shorter rod is called for.

The other two rivers are more "intimate" and lighter and shorter works as well or better. So, where are you going to fish the most? You said that it will be mostly tips, at what distance, and what backcast room? What line? If it is mostly tight and tips, then a Skagit and a shorter rod will probably do it.

Get to the Clearwater Clave this month and try some of those rods and line combos out. In the last analysis, it is what you like best for the conditions you fish most of the time.