Sage Z-Axis Spey Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by poirierpro, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have to admit that TFO came through on the aesthetics with the Deer Creek Series, seems like many love these rods for their action too!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Z Axis and Deer Creek...two hander and switch in both...great tools even in my humble hands.

3. bendow

bendow New Member

I completely agree that it is very important to realize the different characteristics of each rod in the Z series. I own the 6126-4 and 8129-4, and have fished the 7136-4 quite a few times. Here is my two cents:

8129-4: I fish a 550 and 600 gr. rio skagit on this rod. It has a faster action than the other two rods, which some may find does not lend well to skagit casting. However, it will launch line and throw nice loops. I have fished a 8/9 AFS and 510 Compact Scandi as well. Both lines throw very well on this rod. I like the rod, but would not pay full retail second time around.

7136-4: If I could own only one Z it would be this rod. I have thrown 500, 550, and 600 grain rio skagits and it handles them all...I prefer the 500. This rod has a deeper flex than the 8129 which lends itself very well to skagit lines. It will throw bombs.

6126-4: This rod has a much softer action than the two rods above. I have thrown a Rio 450 and 500 skagit, prefering the 450. Fishes similar to a Dredger, and is the closest to a "skagit rod" in terms of a deeper load. For some reason I have problems maximizing the perfromance of this rod, but a better caster would do just fine.

At the end of the day, if asked I would probably trade in the 8129-4 and 6126-4 for the 7136-4. The 7136 just does it all, and does it well...just not as good as my Guideline LeCie 7139-3.

4. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    The Guideline LeCie is the best Scandi rod period!

5. steff_dk

steff_dk PST+9

My vote is for the Loomis Stinger GLX'ers but to be honest I haven't tried the LeCies.
    Have three stingers though :rolleyes:

I probably wouldn't be able to cast a tight loop on the Z-ax 7136 if my life depended on it ...

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

ARRRRGGGHhHhhhh......I'll pass that along to him...He was actually talking about you this weekend and I didn't put one and one together till now...Damn I sure envy you guys..and you couldn't be hooking up with a nicer or more dedicated steelheader then Ralf...
    Had dinner with the totems Sat. night at Spences (Ralf is a member and one helluva good group of guys) and they were reliving their Dean trip...GOD I HATE MY LIFE sometimes...can not get any time off...but the kids are about out and it's all coming eventually...

Have a great trip, hope it's as good as last year!!!! bawling:

p.s. I'm picking him up something this week so you'll have something to enjoy with your bottle.

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

hope you guys get a chance to try the new Meiser S rods.

8. longstick

longstick Member

For the 7136 owners

For the guys who have a 7136. Which compact scandi do you like better, the 450 or the 480?

9. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

I ended up getting the 7136...510 compact skagit...450 compact scandi...love the rod!

10. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I would like to recommend a CND try one you will not even think Sage again.

11. Marcel

Marcel Member

Good for you Poirierpro! Enjoy!

For all the "skip sage and go with XYZ custom rods" I must to say I love both my Z-axis speys. I built the 6wt and run it with 450g rio skagit (I know its silly for all those anti stripping, got to cover more water faster folks but Skagit like is what I'm used to casting all winter/spring). Its a cool rod, and as Bendow says its a bit softer/slower that the higher wts but compaired to other 6wts it seemed to have the pep I was looking for. For winter fish on Sauk/Skagit I use and really enjoy my Z-axis 9wt spey. It is FAST and can really send some line out.

So for any others looking at the sage vs others I say its far from a no-brainer to go with smaller outfits offerings. The Z-axis is a fine choice among a host of great rods. Each caster has his/her preferences and quarks, the Z is a good fit for some.

12. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Check out the Z5126. I just spent a week with it on the Deschutes. It handled wind and 10' fast sink pollyleaders great. Just seemed to be the perfect rod for the 6 to 12 lbs fish.

13. DoubleL

DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

I have the same rod and absolutely love it. Definately a perfect Deschutes rod. It has a slower feel because it flexes through the blank without any loss of power and little to no tip deflection on the forward cast but I would call it a med/slow rod.

I'm curious what you line it with? My personal preference is a custom cut 360 grain Vision Ace with 14 polyleaders that cast as far as I need. I have played around with a 400 grain Skagit as well but jury's still out on that one.

14. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

365 grain Vision Ace, and love it. Im still playing around with different Skagit lines as well

15. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    I was considering the 8129 for a heavier winter steelhead, silvers, ect rod, and will be doing most of my fishing on the Skagit or other local S rivers. would that be a good choice or would the 8134 be better?
    I also had designs of delving into scandi style casting with this rod. Im still just a capable beginner when it comes to spey rods and would rather spend the money on something I could grow into rather than limit myself with.