Salem, OR Lo-Down

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, May 11, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

We may be in Salem, OR for a few days over Memorial Day and the following week. I just looked at Creekside Fly-fishing's site and it look likes the McKenzie closer to Eugene is the best option right now? Any suggestions from those with local knowledge would be appreciated...PM if preferred.

Thanks

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If you're in Salem, you should head up the North Fork of The Santiam. The hwy follows it and there are many, many pull offs and parks to access the river.

It is one of my favorite flyfishing rivers due to the great access. You don't hear much about the North Santiam because most of those who know the river are very tight lipped in regards to the fishery. However, there is so much access, it isn't really a secret river.

The McKenzie is really a floating affair unless you know the limited access points.

Ed Call likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Hi Gene,
    Thanks for the tip on the NF Santiam...another river I've not fished and would not have considered. My wife is going to be taking pictures at a couple of an iris farms and some other large nursery (don't recall what...I know flies better than flowers :D). Depending on whether I can drop her off and take the rig or whether she will need it, I might opt to go with a guide so they can just pick me up and drop me off. We'll be heading over to the Deschutes and Warm Springs following the 2 days in Salem... I've developed a love affair with that river and the SF hatch.

Bill

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well, if you end up at Pack Saddle Park (a good choice) don't do as I did.

The park and launch are just below the first dam. There is a cut off section where you fishing is illegal. Years and years ago, I was up at the park one evening and wading upstream. I looked over on shore and could see the back of the "no fishing above this point" sign. It was well above where I was fishing. And the fishing was great! Trout where rising everywhere and I was catching one on every other cast with a dry fly.

It was as good as dry fly fishing a river gets!

When I waded to shore, I just happened to look at the sign that I thought was the cut off warning. It wasn't. The sign made reference to something completely different. The cut off notice sign was one that was much further downstream and I realized I had spent the evening fishing in the no fishing section!

Good thing I never keep the trout I catch but just the same... I made a classic looking at the backside of a sign mistake.

It's amazing how well you can do in the no fishing section. :)

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  5. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

There will be some Spring Chinook available an hour to an hour and a half west in coastal streams. Should be a few in the Santiams too. Not the easiest fish to catch on a fly rod but if you hook one you'll know you're alive.

There are small-stream, small-trout options nearby as well, but nothing to write home about.

Shoot me a pm if you want more info.

6. shawn k

shawn k Member

There
    There is no longer a closed area around the packsaddle boat ramp. I wish there was.
    last summer there were guys targeting spawning springers right in front of the boat ramp.

7. shawn k

shawn k Member

The Iris are in full bloom now she most likely will see dead plants. There should be some summer steelhead in there now.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Shawn, it's only been a few decades since I've been up there so I guess things change with time. I wonder why they lifted the no fishing section?

Anyway, Bill, the North Santiam is a good choice if you're in
    Salem... or PM Phil or Shawn for lessor known fisheries...

9. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Bill...what are you wanting to target? What style of fishing?

If it's trout...N. Santiam or Breitenbush above Detroit are where I would head. 3wt or 4wt; nymping and dries...bring some ants (sz 10-12).

I need to get up there myself...took a year off; but have had some really fun times up there!!

10. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

PM me if you're still looking for info (I'm on my Damn phone and can't figure it out hahaha). I've fished both those rivers a bunch