Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon fly season on Rock Creek

9K views 104 replies 52 participants last post by  Benjy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just thought I'd give you all a heads up and tell you that the salmon flies should be out in full force starting this weekend and going on through the following week or so, barring any bad weather. Our water is finally coming down, too, so it should be a pretty decent season.

If you decide to float it, be sure to check with us or the other shops about log jams. There's a particularly nasty one up there this year that I'd just as soon have people avoid completely. Other than that, as long as you're experienced on the sticks, things should be fine. The foot fishing (dare I say) should be doable as well, though I'd hold off on wading too far in.

Hope to see some of you out here, and if you need any advice on what to bring, areas to fish, etc., PM me or hit me up on this thread.

Cheers,
Johnny (GM)

#74 ·
While I am waiting with baited breath to see if all this cock-tosterone will evolve in to a WWF throwdown............Here is some current Rock creek news

***********IMPORTANT Stream update for floaters!!! There is a VERY DANGEROUS situation at around mile 27; the log jam that had been there previously has broken loose and moved about 1/4 mile downstream TO THE LEFT channel. This is important is because everyone took the left channel before! We had previously reported that you should stay to the extreme right, but new logs have appeared in this channel and there is no way to avoid the jams in either channel - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLOAT THROUGH THESE JAMS - YOU MUST AVOID FLOATING THROUGH THIS AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************
June 11, 2009 8:21 AM Yesterday, thankfully, what could've ended in tragedy didn't. I've mentioned the log jam at mile 27, but have failed to mention the danger at mile 4. I guess because it's been there for so long, it's easy to assume that everyone knows about it.
In the late morning a fellow stopped by the shop - he had his rowing frame on top of his rig. John & Rivers Perry were here; the fellow that stopped by said he was going to float and asked about the take-out at mile 4. John told him to be sure to get out and physically walk it so he was aware of how he would need to approach it because if he missed it he would run into trouble. The fellow said he had looked as he drove by and it looked like an easy approach. John again told him it was not as easy as it looked and stated that he should go walk it. The guy stated that he was experienced and didn't think he would have any problems.
Last night I received a call that someone had missed the take-out at mile 4, and had flipped his raft. Life Flight & ambulances were there, and a person was missing. It took until this morning before I could find out what happened, and if everyone was safe.
The missing person had floated downstream, and was picked up by the guy that lives next to John Perry; the other 2 in the raft were safe. No one was injured. And yes, it was the same guy that had stopped in earlier in the day. Thankfully, all are okay. His raft is still hung up on the log jam, and I suppose all his gear is gone. But, no lives were lost.
The obvious moral to this story is that no matter how experienced an oarsman a person may be, this creek is ever changing and what may have been good last year (or even last week) is not necessarily so today. The few minutes it takes to assess a situation is worth the time to keep from getting into a predicament that you may not be able to get out of.
Okay, now that I've said that, it's time to let you know about the bugs. 2 days ago there were none - yesterday morning when Joe drove up to mile 22 they were EVERYWHERE, so they emerged overnight. I had several people in the store yesterday, and there were salmon flies, goldens, and green drakes hatching. The fish were not tuned in to any of them yet though, although that will change quickly too. I'm sure this week-end will be a zoo up here, once folks find out that the bugs have finally appeared and they are moving fast!
Action yesterday was still best on the SJW thrown in to the calmer (if it could be found) water. Stream flow this morning is 1770 cfs - that's about half what it was 4 days ago! Stream temp is 49 degrees - warm enough for the bugs to hatch, but still very cold if you go in the drink!
Joe has run into a little snafu on the job, and ran out of materials just when he thought he would be able to finish. So he was out of the house by 6 AM heading to St. Ignatius for more siding material. The salmon flies are tormenting him - he NEEDS to get finished!
That's it for today. Be sure to stop by if you're in our neck of the woods...
Deb & Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I spoke with my friend who lives on the creek last night.............the water is finally out of the pastures and the stoneflys are everywhere..........the next week should be extremely good..............It will be the normal bumper-car-raft run...............lots of fishermen and lots of fish...........remember, pay attention for the log jams.........know what is going on....................

Now back to the cock-tosterone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#77 ·
I've actually become kind of curious as to what exactly happens after you beat somebody down over a fishing spot. Do you just pick your rod back up, straighten your vest out and go back to fishing the disputed run while the unfortunate slob lays there and bleeds? Or maybe you kick a little dirt on him and say "I told you, son, it's MY spot... beeatch!" and then leave? Or is there a more knightly etiquette to it, so the losing combatant, realizing defeat is at hand, drops his dukes and says "You have defeated me in battle. I concede. The spot is yours." and you shake hands and part ways?

Am I anywhere in the ballpark? What is the protocol here?

#78 ·
I've actually become kind of curious as to what exactly happens after you beat somebody down over a fishing spot. Do you just pick your rod back up, straighten your vest out and go back to fishing the disputed run while the unfortunate slob lays there and bleeds? Or maybe you kick a little dirt on him and say "I told you, son, it's MY spot... beeatch!" and then leave? Or is there a more knightly etiquette to it, so the losing combatant, realizing defeat is at hand, drops his dukes and says "You have defeated me in battle. I concede. The spot is yours." and you shake hands and part ways?

Am I anywhere in the ballpark? What is the protocol here?
I don't know about fly flickers but I watched a pretty good brawl amongst some gut chuckers on the Samish River during king season a few years ago. No handshakes, no I told you so, none of that. I do believe that 2 or 3 were given stainless steel bracelets and a free ride to the Sheriff's place and several others were detained and interviewed on scene for an hour or so.

#86 ·
really!? are you taking any of what jcalderon said seriously? i never said i was going to kick your ass my friend just thinks its entertaining to get me into fights.

none of the things you listed means anyone is tough and if you really think it does then your a poser! true badasses dont get on the net and try to flex.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Entertaining is an understatement.

Anyhow, I am a little dissapointed that some have spoken of guns, weapons, biker gangs ect. What ever happened to a god ol' throwdown. Id be willing to bet that some of "said" people would not be willing to throw down in a controlled enviroment, perhaps a cage with rules. This fear of losing generally leads to a toughguy mentality and speaking of guns, homies ect.

just my .02

#95 ·
I'll be there in ten days..any expected hatches then? Roughly July 1st-ish. I'll be camping near the creek. A hundred feet away is near enough. I also have a "First timer to MT seeks advice thread" where many members were super helpful...many thanks again

#96 ·
Sorry to interrupt all of the homoerotic/biker/fight club posts but just saw on MSNBC that that former VP Cheney and Alaska Gov Palin will be fishing on RC for the next two weeks during the salmon fly hatch. Looks like the river will be closed to all fishing due to security concerns.

Flipped channels and saw a fly fishing show on the Outdoor channel with Bill Dance. He was fishing another river in MT called Clark Fork? He was just slaying the fish there. Would definitely check out that river. For those interested PM some of the folksy guys on WFF. Most are more than willing to help with info on "their rivers"

#97 ·
but just saw on MSNBC that that former VP Cheney and Alaska Gov Palin will be fishing on RC for the next two weeks during the salmon fly hatch. Looks like the river will be closed to all fishing due to security concerns.
Is this a joke? I hope it is, cuz I'm driving down from British Columbia to fish Rock Ck.
Doesn't sound like something they'd "announce on MSNBC" due to security issues.
PM me if you wish..... :beathead:

#98 ·
Everyone knows about rock creek. Posting about the stonefly hatch is nothing out of the ordinary. I think you guys on here that feel giving a report about an area should be more concerned about what they have done to the rock creek area with home development.
I don't ever think I saw any of you guys up in arms about that one. I have so many areas in MT that I have no problem giving info about, because majority of fly fishermen care about where our trout live.

Get over yourselves, and enjoy life and don't worry about what people post, because eventually they will find your spot anyway...

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.