Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

salmon shark fishing

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Philster 
#1 ·
I just found out about salmon sharks. Has anyone fished for them?They are taking them on flies up in alaska.I'm wondering if they come down to the washington coast?
SC

#6 ·
I watched a show on the tube that was about fishing for sharks out of Cordova, AK. They would chum the sharks up to the boat with pink salmon carcasses and then cast to them. The sharks are huge and very difficult to land as they have fixed fins (not foldable) and the wire leaders would wrap around the shark during the fight causing breakoffs. Huge fish!

Here's a link to a Fish Alaska magazine article that is on shark fishing.

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/archives/2004/804_shark.htm

#7 ·
Some salmon shark migrate down to CA to give birth in the spring. They migrate back up to AK during the summer in time to hit the schooling salmon getting ready to spawn. They are sometimes encoutered on the albacore grounds, but are sometimes found in clear blue water that is colder. I know a guy in NorCal that's been targetting them the last few years. He's hooked up a few times, but can't seem to get one of these powerful creatures to the boat. When he finds one, he usually finds quite a few in the area. He spots them finning on the surface and trolls around them. Perhaps this is his year.

-Allen

#8 ·
gt said:
Yeah I didn't realize that too....up to 10 feet. Considered dangerous to man but no known attacks. Look much like the Great White and believe it has been confused with the great white and that is why there are reports of the salmon shark growing over 10 feet. I really didn't need to know this...something else to be thinking about now.

#9 ·
wolverine said:
IThe sharks are huge and very difficult to land as they have fixed fins (not foldable) and the wire leaders would wrap around the shark during the fight causing breakoffs. Huge fish!
If it's a shark yee wants, know too things Laddy. First they shakes their heads... Then they roll... Sweet Fancy Moses on Buttered Toast how they roll. Tis not the fins laddy that bring grief... Tis the rollin'... The rollin'... The rollin'........... :beathead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.