Salt Fly fishing guide

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Walkenberg, Jun 30, 2009.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

you could be but i dont know of anyone with the proper lic. that doesnt fish from a boat. Like i said before, I only know of Matt and Keith but it looks like Tom Wolf is another option. I have never heard of him.

2. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I don't know how to contact Wolf, but Jim Kerr may. Jim has (or had a license in the past), and has guided salt, so he knows the players, but he is working rivers just now. I believe he can steer you in the right direction. I like Jim and trust his judgment.

Jimkerrguides.com

360.301 4559

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Both Leland Miyawaki (call Orvis) and Bob Young (206-323-2189) are licensed to guide from Puget Sound beaches. You just need a guide license, not a full-fledged capatain's papers.
    Les

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

it is my understanding from when i was guiding locally(from the beach) that you could not target salmon in the salt without a salmon charter lic. which the state is no longer issuing. I could be wrong but that is how i understand it.

5. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Home Page:
    I have heard from fish and wildlife that you need a charter license for guide salmon, beach or boat. The way the regulations are written is quite confusing though...

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

It is probably correct that you can't target salmon from the beach. I'm not sure about this. When I fish with either of them they aren't guiding me. We're just fishing. It would be good to have the matter cleared up thoughj.
    Unless I hear otherwise I humbly retract my offer of possibly putting my pals Leland and Bov into harms way with the fish police.
    I'm back to Captain Keith who is probably booked through July.
    Les Johnson

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

From the FAQ's at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/commercial/charter_guides.html

If I don’t use a boat, do I need a license to guide from the shore?
    Yes, except for salmon or other food fish in Marine Areas 1 through 13 (including Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor), the Columbia River downstream of the Longview Bridge, and Lake Washington.

Depending on how your interpret this, it either means you can guide from shore for salmon and other food fish without a license, or that you can guide from shore with a license(they don't mention which kind of license), but not for salmon or other food fish. I suspect that the latter is true since there is no mention of any exceptions in the actual requirements:

Salmon
    If you accept a fee to take a person fishing for salmon in Marine Areas 1 through 13 (including 2-1 Willapa Bay, 2-2 Grays Harbor, 8-1 and 8-2), Lake Washington, or the Columbia River downstream of the Longview Bridge, you must:
    -Have a valid salmon charter license,
    -Have a valid angler permit for the number of persons fishing from the vessel, and
    -Have valid vessel registration decals and angler trip decals permanently affixed to your vessel.

If you accept a fee to take a person fishing for salmon in freshwater, except Lake Washington and the Columbia River downstream of the Longview Bridge, you must:
    -Have a valid professional salmon guide license, and
    -If you use a vessel, have valid salmon guide decals permanently affixed to your vessel.

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

thats the part that i remember. thanks for posting it up.:thumb:

9. collander

collander New Member

Call Pacific fly Fishers in Mill Creek (they also sponsor the board) one of the guys down there is a flyguide on the salt

10. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

His name is Ben Zander, http://www.soundflyfishing.com/ I have not had the pleasure of going on a guided trip with him although I would love to here soon.

11. Pez Gallo

Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Home Page:
    Good advice. Jim is the man. I trust his judgement on all things fishing related.

12. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Emerald Water Anglers.http://www.emeraldwateranglers.com/ Walk and wade unless they are with Capt. Keith. If Capt Keith isn't available, maybe they have someone else they work with.
    Best dang guide service in the world.

13. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

You can bet your ass that if you go out with Dave Mcoy or any of his guides, it will be legal, catch and release only and a great day of flyfishing. Dave is a great solid citizen and a super guide/angler. A great personal friend. Coach

14. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Hire a guide if you want to get out on a boat with your pal. However if you want to beach fish the middle to south sound, grab your Gazeteer and go to Puget Sound Fly, Gig Harbor Fly Shop or Orvis and ask them which flies are working. Buy those flies then have them show you where they're biting.

You'll save a bunch of money and your chances of catching fish will only be marginally less, if that, than if you were with a guide.

15. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

i would venture to guess you are 100% wrong Mike but thats just my opinion. A boat will outfish someone on the beach 99% of the time. And over a full day the chances are much much better from the boat.