Salt water rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Hooker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

As long as there is no chum on the end of that 6 :eek:

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i've caught chum on my 6. I don't target them on it but it is possible.
    I would say the 6wt Xi2 is about as good an all around rod as you could find. nice choice.

3. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

FWIW: An 8' 6wt fiberglass was the rod I caught my first chum on. I learned then what "undergunned" was, and by the next weekend, I had a 9' 8wt 'glass rod. Same reel,(a 1495 Medalist clone) just heavier rod and line. Still a good rod for $16.00, and it will really protect a marginal leader. Going on 30 years for those rod/reel combos.

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Consider the St. Croix - Legend Ultra 6wt, 4-piece Salt Rod
    Fighting but, aluminum seat and oversized guides - I like mine

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

awesome rod :thumb:

6. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

TiCrX and Teeny 6-weights are both outstanding rods. The TiCrX is a bit faster but the Teeny may have a touch more guts in the lower section. I own -- and use -- them both. I also have the Axiom 6-weight and although I'm not much for uploading rods, the Axiom 6-weight worked better for me with a 7-weight line. Nice rod though and I'd stack it up against a chum salmon on the beach any day -- and I will next fall if we get some chum.
    Cheers,
    Les Johnson

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

The Xi2 is a great stick if someone has the coin for it, but not everyone does. The CPS rods are a great value. There are a lot of good rods out there.

With that said, I'll bet a pitcher a beer my POS Temple Fork will outcast your Xi2. :thumb:

8. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I bet you another pitcher of beer that my Sage TCR 697 will outcast your TFO!:p

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

I'll take that to mean you guys would both cast each rod yourself, rod vs. rod, not caster vs. caster. If so I would think the Xi2 would outperform the TFO....but :confused: And I'm sure Lefty would outperform you Obi and your TCR with one of his TFO's :ray1::p:p

An I'm sure after a few :beer1::beer1::beer1: it wouldn't really matter.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

I saw an intersting website a while ago that tested preformance on a variety of brands. TFO tested only slightly less than sage and costs about 1/3 the price :ray1:

But hey, If you've got the money why not :thumb:

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Porter, nope, his stick and him, my stick and me. If he wants to call the TFO a POS relative to his stick he should step up. Heck, it's only a pitcher of beer.

Obiwan, you didn't call the TFO a POS like D3Smartie did, but I'm up for a pitcher of beer wager. Hell, even if it's a lowly TFO competing with the mighty TCR. PM me and will go air out some line. :thumb: The TCR is the ultimate long distance stick (I have the 691, but I also own TFO, and I wouldn't call them POS), but I think you might be surprised what my (POS) TFO might do.

We're on. Where do you live?

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I'll meet you on a beach and take that challenge... I know for a fact that i will like the Xi2 better than a TFo. The distance it casts is a factor but not everything for where i like a rod. like martyg said, they are a dead rod. They are not a pleasure to cast. i'll take something with some good sensitivity over these super fast, super light rods which people seem to love right now.

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Dude, you're back-pedalling and double-talking.

Earlier you call the Temple Fork rods POS's. Now you're just saying that you just "know" you'll like the Xi2 better and the TFO's are dead rods, and you just don't like them as much as your Xi2. And, you're implying the Xi2 has good sensitivity and isn't one of those " . . .super fast, super light rods . . . " Your Xi2 fits in to that category of stick that you say you don't like: "i'll take something with some good sensitivity over these super fast, super light rods which people seem to love right now."

TFO's are know pretty universally to be a heavier rod relative to the similar model Sage's. Hence, if one fits the super light category, it's more likely the Sage (in this case, yep, it's your Xi2). TFO makes some fast rods, but not 'super fast'; your Xi2 and, say, the TFO Axiom have pretty similar actions. And, that's arguably TFO's 'fastest' rod.

So, relative to the TFO offerings, your Xi2 more fits that 'super fast, super light' category.

Doing this on the beach, we won't be able to measure for good comparison. It's be purely subjective. I suggest we meet somewhere, say the Green Lake casting dock area, where we can put out a tape measure to accurately evaluate the performance, you with your stick, me with my POS. Green Lake is also a location in between where you and I live.

To make it fair, we'll use the same model lines, cool? We can also put out some targets or hoops if you want to display your accuracy with the Xi2 compared to my TFO POS. Distance, accuracy, both, hopefully my POS Temple Fork will be able to hang with you.

Oh, someone that may be an unbiased and impartial party, say for example someone who may be following this thread, should do the measuring and scoring just to make sure everything is square. Heck, I wouldn't want to cheat you out of a pitcher of beer! ;)

Now, I'm not bashing the Xi2. It's a super rod, and without considering costs, it's arguably one of the top saltwater rods out there. If people didn't have budgetary constraints, I would guess there would be even more of them out on the beach.

But not everyone can afford the Sage. TFO's objective is to provide very good performing rods at very reasonable prices (value). However, for D3Smartie to generally characterize all TFO rods as POS's and that they couldn't hang in the shadow of Xi2 is, well . . . not correct. That's my opinion; maybe D3Smartie will prove me wrong. :confused:

At least I feel that way, and D3Smartie feels differently.

Let's do this! I'm jacked now. :thumb:

14. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Home Page:
    Richard,
    Be carful...... D3smartie is a sandbagger. I have seen him cast a broomstick farther than most cast their best rods. My advise is save your beer money. You might need it for a rod upgrade some day :thumb:

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

It's cool. He can bring a broomstick, too. I'm looking forward to sticking up for TFO. :thumb: Nice sticks, particularly for the money.