Saltwater Outbound Shorts $29.95

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Never found a need for a poly leader in the salt, then again I fish an intermediate with a clear head 95% of the time.
6-7' of straight mono gets it done for me.
SF

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Never found a need for a poly leader in the salt, then again I fish an intermediate with a clear head 95% of the time.
6-7' of straight mono gets it done for me.
SF
So you just run your 10lb or whatever test off the end and thats it? Nice and simple

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Gman,
Personally I like 12 lb, but mainly from July on when fishing the sound.
It helps turn over larger flies a bit better then 10 does in my opinion.
SF

JayB

Gman,
Personally I like 12 lb, but mainly from July on when fishing the sound.
It helps turn over larger flies a bit better then 10 does in my opinion.
SF
I'll be the first to admit that this is selfishness masquerading as flattery....or something...but whatever the case, you should seriously consider compiling all of the technical know-how tucked away in your head into an article or a mini-book or something along those lines. Someone currently serving a long-sentence in a federal prison could extract a lot of the nuggets you've contributed after many hours of obsessively punching the right keywords into the search function, but otherwise there's quite a bit of valuable information that's tucked away in threads that may never see the light of day.

I realize that's how some folks like it (and if that's the case for you, then I suppose that's the end of it), but IMO the tactical information you've dished out has been waaaaay more helpful than the info I've been able to get from reading Johnson and Ferguson, Stoll etc. That's not a rip on those books, which are great references, but when it comes to rigs, retrieves, flies, and tides the info I've been able to glean from the threads here has been way more helpful.

Just a thought...
https://kdp.amazon.com/kdp/self-publishing/signin

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I'll be the first to admit that this is selfishness masquerading as flattery....or something...but whatever the case, you should seriously consider compiling all of the technical know-how tucked away in your head into an article or a mini-book or something along those lines. Someone currently serving a long-sentence in a federal prison could extract a lot of the nuggets you've contributed after many hours of obsessively punching the right keywords into the search function, but otherwise there's quite a bit of valuable information that's tucked away in threads that may never see the light of day.

I realize that's how some folks like it (and if that's the case for you, then I suppose that's the end of it), but IMO the tactical information you've dished out has been waaaaay more helpful than the info I've been able to get from reading Johnson and Ferguson, Stoll etc. That's not a rip on those books, which are great references, but when it comes to rigs, retrieves, flies, and tides the info I've been able to glean from the threads here has been way more helpful.

Just a thought...
https://kdp.amazon.com/kdp/self-publishing/signin
Wear protection.

Gregg Lundgren

Now fishing on weekdays too!
Gregg Lundgren said:
I am going to post this bit of information for everyone's consideration. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, and at $29 it may still be a great buy.

I bought a 2013 WF7F/S1 for the beach early this season and used it on the river as well. After about a dozen trips, the running line started to feel rough around the area where I would tug for my double hauls. I assumed I had stepped on the line in that area. Soon the line coating began to disintegrate in that area leaving gaps in the coating.

While fishing a popular Whidbey Island beach with several fly fishermen present, I mumbled my concern: that while I loved the line, it had started to fail rather quickly. "Darn me for likely stepping on the line." At this time two or three others chimed-in that also had 2013 Outbound Short WFxF/S1 lines. They had also been thinking the exact same thing! Seems unlikely we all stepped on only those particular lines.

Coincidence? 2013 Model being discontinued?

I did some repairs with Knot Sense to complete the season. I LOVE the way the line casts and fishes, but a dozen trips was a rather short lifespan at full price.
Josh Smestad said:
Rio replaced a friends line when his started breaking down mid season. No questions, just mailed him another.
porterHause said:
Same thing happened to Jason Rolfe this season too...

Gregg Lundgren said:
I bought a 2013 WF7F/S1 for the beach early this season and used it on the river as well. After about a dozen trips, the running line started to feel rough around the area where I would tug for my double hauls. I assumed I had stepped on the line in that area. Soon the line coating began to disintegrate in that area leaving gaps in the coating.​
You really have to appreciate Far Bank enterprises(Sage, Rio, Redington) customer service. Rio replaced this line for me! I did have to pay for shipping of the defective line back to Rio's Idaho warranty department, but I was alright with splitting the shipping costs. The customer service rep provided a non-definitive acknowledgement that there might have been a manufacturing issue with my particular line, or a batch of these lines. I'm hoping this line came from a different batch.;)

Anyway, this is kind of a nice lesson on how we all benefit from the communication on this forum!

Yep, I remember that talk Gregg, and remember being happy to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing that problem.

It actually happened with two different OB lines for me. Which was unfortunate, because I really, really like casting that line.

But oh well. Hopefully the next generation line turns out to be better.

I can echo what Gregg said, though--the Rio folks have been great about replacing lines if there were problems.