saltwater popper

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sixfinger, Mar 12, 2006.

1. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Anyone see bob quigley's dragon gurgler in the newest Northwest flyfishing mag?

If you changed it to white foam I would think that would be a sweet popper for SCR's. Has anyone seen or used that pattern. I dont get the hook. is the shaft bent, or is it a trailing hook?

2. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

The Dragon Gurgler I've seen is tied with a trailing hook, and from what I remember the author of the article I read said it works best with the hook point facing up. I've seen some commercially tied versions in a fly shop that actually has the hook epoxied off of the tail materials at a downward 45 degree angle, to keep the hook point riding up and in a good position to hook a fish rising for the fly.

I think the foam is a great idea- actually, I think one of the original 'gurglers' is made that way, with a foam lip that pushes water and wakes. Tie it small, and watch 'em slash it!

3. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Along these same lines you can also tie up a pattern called Hotlips. I believe it is orginally a stripe bass pattern, but don't know for sure. If you want a photo and recipe lemme know.

:cool:

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

Why not? Do you have a photo and recipe handy. I'm not familiar with that one.

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Sure... I don't remember what magazine I got this from, but I have enjoyed fishing it.

This is the recipe from the mag...I have changed some things in my own tying so...

Hook: Mustad #34011 (size 2)
    Head: 2mm white foam .25"W x 3.0"L
    Tail: white or tan saddle (2 @ 1.5")
    Body: Lg. red ice chenille

I have used red, chart., black, yellow, ect. colors for the body as well as changing the color of foam, but found the white foam easiest for me to see.

:cool:

6. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Thanks Scott. Looks quick and deadly.

7. tinpusher

tinpusher Member

I was using the Gurggler yesterday for SRC. Mine did not have the bill underneath but essentially it was as pictured. Anyways to make a long story short my buddy with the sunk fly had zero hits while I had 4 rolls to my fly. However the number of hookups was the same. I love fishing a floating fly for SRC but I sure don't hook many. Anyone have the secret? I am going to try a trailer as they often seem to come up short.

8. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Your going to miss alot of fish with top water. It is the name of the game fishing them. I dont mind missing fish because the takes are so cool.
    Chris

9. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator